1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willie01, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willie01

willie01 Thread Starter

I am adding a second hard drive to my computer and I can't get the drive set up properly. I installed the drive, used the software that was provided by Maxtor for the 120gig ATA drive. the software found the drive but it's showing up as a secondary master. I'm getting an error message when I try ti install Windows XP. The message is; can't find NDLSR. How do I set the BIOS to make the new hard drive my primary master? It's showing my CD Rom as the primary master and my hard drive as the secondary master.

2. Cell

Cell

um you might simply try switching the plugs on the ide ports on the motherboard. however, i dont think it matters which is primary master and which is secondary master as long as they are not inline with each other (like for master and slave).

as far as the ndlsr problem :confused: :confused:

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    try setting both drives to cable select withthe jumpers. Maxtor seems to like this setting. then connect the new drive to the end of the cable and the old drive to middle connector then plug the motherboard end into IDE 1. Then your ne wmaxtor will show up as primary master.

4. willie01

willie01 Thread Starter

Thanks dustylay I set the drives to cable select and the computer works fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice