1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by conscience, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conscience

conscience Thread Starter

I am reinstalling Windows XP because I think my C drive is weird/messy. I boot from xp disk. I deleted my C and D drive partitions. Before that, I notice an unpartitioned space that I suspect is corrupt (because before, when I included that particular section with another partition, the drive wouldn't format). Anyways, I create three new partitions, starting with C drive (exactly the same size as before), my D drive (also same), and I figured I would give that unpartitioned space a try. Well, it ends up screwing up the entire XP setup and shows me a sign that tells me to restart or try other things. I restart. Boot from CD. After I pressed F8, the partition menu thing appeared and instead of the usual list, I get a thing saying:

156328 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
    <Setup cannot access this disk.>

and gives a choice of:

Enter=Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

I tried all but F3 and it came up with a message I haven't encountered before:

Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary Setup files that are required to complete the installation.

To continue, press ENTER.

And so I did. Then came something else, with font entirely different than before and a darker blue:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you'ver seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS update. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Techincal Information:
    ***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xF84C7C13, 0xF80897E4, 0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F84C7C13 base at F849B000, DateStamp 41107c8f

It doesn't give me an option, so I restart. Same procedure repeats. I think I'm quite doomed. I am in desperate need of ANY sort of help (I need my computer for homework and entertainment purposes), and would very much appreciate any.

By the way, my computer is AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with a Maxtor 160GB hdd.

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Ok,

Reinstall xp and for the moment see if that works.

Only create one partition for the moment.(leave space for a d drive later)

When give the option, format as NTFS and do NOT use the quick format option.

come back here if its still not working, or if you want to know how to set up a second partition thru windows

3. conscience

I can't, everytime after the F8 (accept) part, it shows the message.

4. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

ya, i didnt get that 2 mins

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

conscience...

IMHO whatI would do if I were you at this point, is go here, download the powermax utility, double click on the downloaded file, and let it create a bootable floppy...

Once the floppy is created boot the pc with it, and Low Level Format ( write zeros to the drive ) the drive, then try reinstalling XP, and like rebelmusic said create only one partition for now...

6. conscience

Thank you very much! ... although I would like to see if I am able to only erase a part of it because there is a partition in it that has all my homework, back-up for game files, etc. I'll still do as you said if nothing can be done.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pull the drive and slave it to the computer you are using now. Copy your work and whatever else you want. Put the drive back in the machine it came from; now you can zero fill the drive.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I had the exact same message. My prob was bad ram.
    Yes that can do it. I would D/L microsofts memory tester and check the ram. Any errors and that is the problem.

9. conscience

I think I shall try that. Thank you very much!

10. conscience

It doesn't work :( but now one of my friends is taking my harddrive to take a look at it, if he succeds, I'll notify :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice