1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cassettica, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cassettica

Cassettica Thread Starter

So I go to turn on my PC yesterday and it doesn't get past BIOS. It goes through the checks before the IDE check and then hangs. Sure enough, when I removed my IDE drive and left my SATA one in, it went fine, and I was able to boot into my SATA drive running linux.

The problem here is I have data on the IDE drive (which ran windows) and I'd like to be able to at least mount it in Linux and copy out the files I want. When I plug it in and turn it on, though, it can't get through the BIOS (always stops at that one place, and doesn't let me go into the BIOS setup or let me boot from a disk or anything, pressing keys does nothing, it would seem).

I have no idea what triggered this, I didn't do anything weird or install anything weird last time I was in windows (the day before this happened), and I keep a clean system, so, aside from the obvious reasons, we can rule out a software explanation.

It must be hardware, but everything works fine and I can still boot into linux with no problems. Is it the drive or something? Any suggestions?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

What are your system specs?

3. Cassettica

AMD Athlon64 3200
    Epox 8KDAI mobo
    512 mb RAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
    Samsung 80gb (the problem drive)
    Western Digital 250gb SATA

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Do you have another computer you can drop the IDE drive into to see if it duplicates the problem? I'd start there.

You might, just as a desperate, quick measure, reset your BIOS

Also, is the drive jumpered to Cable Select? See if the jumper is still there...

5. Cassettica

I don't have another PC handy at the moment, I flashed the BIOS and I tried using a different IDE cable but that changed nothing. There appears to be a jumber in, set vertically to the far left. It looks like this...

[.][][][]
    [.][][][]

6. Cassettica

Apparently "Cable Select" is either

[][.][][]
    [][.][][]

or

[][.][][]
    [][.][.][.]

Is Cable select something I want? Do you think it would be possible to put another HDD in and set this one as slave? Would that change anything?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice