1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djb7uk, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djb7uk

djb7uk Thread Starter

Hi, Had a problem with pc not booting few months back, no post, no beeps, nothing ,but fans ran .
    after a bit of searching i came to conclusion this could be the hard drive, sooo before i risked spending cash i tried a 2gb one from my very old pc and to my surprise it booted up and worked but obviously 2gb is to small nowdays so i bought a new seagate 40gb.
    connected it up...nothing no post, no beeps, just the fans running same as before.
    so now im thinking maybe the hard drive wasnt the problem , but why does the pc run fine with my old samsung 2gb ?
    i cant understand it, any help appreciated
    thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what size was the originl drive
    theres various points at which you may need a bios update thirty something G is a figure i seem to remember

3. djb7uk

djb7uk Thread Starter

Hi etaf, it was a western digital 40gb

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

It should POST even with the hard drive and cable completely removed from the computer. Have you tried? If it will not POST with the drive removed, then I would suspect something got jarred loose such as a memory module , video card, etc. Also, the CMOS might have gotten "confused" with the different hard drives being installed, especially if the jumper was set incorrectly. Try clearing the CMOS using the appropriate jumper on the mobo or by removing the battery for a few minutes.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so what happens when you try and format - what happens in the bios - can the system see the drive

6. djb7uk

djb7uk Thread Starter

the pc with problem is one im using now, it works fine with the 2gb hard drive from my very first pc, but when i connect the 40gb seagate which is brand new i get the same symptoms as i did with the western 40gb which was running fine for a year or so.
    i cant reach bios with either of the 40gb,s, fans spin but thats it, no beeps, nothing on screen,
    kilowatt il try that later cos like i say only got 1 pc at mo, but whats confusing me is why everything works ok with the little hard drive but not the 40gb ones , this is what made me buy the new hd in the first place.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its may be possible the new drive is also faulty in some way....

8. djb7uk

djb7uk Thread Starter

thatd be just my luck lol :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice