1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive problems causing blue screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ircrise, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ircrise

ircrise Thread Starter

I just built my moms fiance a pc. Ran it for 4 days as my own to make sure nothing major was wrong, and it was great. Delivered pc, and data transferred between their old one and the new one. Only transferred documents no settings etc. Started getting a blue screen, windows restarts on restart I get "Reboot and select proper boot...". Looking in bios, the hard drive is no longer showing up when it restarts from blue screen. Upon formatting and reinstalling windows, everythings fine. Can restart mulitple times, run programs, let it sit for about 2 hours with no problem. When I install anything that requires restart to finish, it starts up with the blue screen again. No extra partitions just the system partition. Tried different software, nero, kaspersky, money plus. Happens with all of them. ANY help would be appreciated. I'm just too frustrated to think straight at this point.

System Specs:
    ASUS M3A78 Pro AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply
    AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
    Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B
    ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA
    2 x mushkin 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can run the test the hard drive with the Seagate diagnostics: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools
    But if its only on reboots or power ups then the drive may pass the tests just fine, but then again if you are gettign bluescreens then the drive may fail the tests as it might experience problems reading data of the platters or powering off during operation. You could also try another SATA data and power cable in case its a loose or poor connection.

3. electricsmile

electricsmile

Try a program called spotmau. It solved my blue screen issues. It's affordable and works great.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    To get the message on the blue screen try this to stop windows rebooting :-

right -click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery - Settings button (lowest one) System Failure area - untick the Automatically restart button, Ok, Ok

Now it should not reboot when the BSOD appears so please note the full message on the blue screen and post it, also what version of Windows are you using ?

5. ircrise

ircrise Thread Starter

Also updated bios.
    Seagate tools verifies drive is viable, no problems.
    When I have my thumbdrive in, no blue screen.
    Restarted without it and...
    Generic blue screen enter, if this is first time blah blah.
    Technical stuff:stop: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x89fcfda0,0x89fcff14,0x805d1142)
    Any thing else?

6. ircrise

ircrise Thread Starter

Update got this error just now after restarting.

stop: 0x0000007a (0xe13f4690,0xc0000185,0xbf8c91b8,0x3eb93860)

win32k.sys - address bf8c91b8 base at bf800000, datestamp 41107f7a

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice