1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newcs_jr, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newcs_jr

newcs_jr Thread Starter

Hey guys/girls I seem to be having a little problem (well actually its a big problem) with one of my hard drives. Ii is a 10 giger and I have been using it for about a year now. About 3 months ago I went to open it (I store all my music in there) and it showed like there was nothing in there however it still showed that 8 gigs had been used up ( or whatever the ratio was). I rebooted my comp but when it came back on and I tried to open it again, this time it said : drive E has not been formated would you like to reformat . I chose no at first and tried a whole bunch of programs to restore the music that I knew was still hiding, the best I could do was recover bits and pieces of the 3000+ songs in there. I decided that I was screwed and just hit yes to reformat. I used it again for about 3 months (don't ask me why I even risked it) and again today when I went to open it, it did the same would you like to reformat thing. I did notice that while all my other drives (when everything is working right) say: local disk c: or local disk d:, my E drive reads LOCIL disk e:, now again this is when it is working properly. Now that it gives me the reformat option, ALL my drives say: local disk, including E. Ok now that my long story is over, CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME. Why would my drive be named like that then how could it rename its self? Anything anyone can do would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys/girls.

2. sampson2269

sampson2269

What operating system are you running, xp well if your running xp have you tried restoring your computer to the day before everything went wrong. If not using xp but some other os do you have go back on it if so try restoring your comp to the day before everything went to crap.
    kyle

3. Rache

Rache Banned

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Find out the manufacturer of the harddrive and download the Diagnostics form their website. It should create a bootdisk that you should use to boot-up and test the drive. Your drive could be going bad.

You should also try replacing the IDE data cable that attaches the harddrive to the motherboard.

5. newcs_jr

newcs_jr Thread Starter

hey thanks a lot guys/girls for all the answers but none of that seemed to work. I have already tried the system restore and I wen to the sight you gave me but it didn't say anything i didnt already know also the website of my hard drive didnt have the model number so I couldnt run a diagnostic test. Is there anyone else who might have a suggestion? Thanks again though for the replies guys/girls

6. newcs_jr

newcs_jr Thread Starter

DAMN NOBODY HAS ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS? I GUESS I SHOULD JUST THROW IT AWAY THEN EH?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you access the drive from dos? And you've tried the drive diagnostics? What was the result from that?

And please don't shout ;)

8. newcs_jr

newcs_jr Thread Starter

I have not tried dos this time but when it happened the first time I did. It read that it was there but that was about it. I couldnt do the diagnostic because I cant find one for my model number. Thanks for the reply though.

Ok i just tried dos and when at the command prompt when I put in E: it says - The drive cannot find the sector requested.

9. ~Candy~

The drive diagnostics work on all the drives, they are not model specific.

Did it give you a directory of the contents in dos? And I'm not sure you mentioned your operating system?

10. newcs_jr

newcs_jr Thread Starter

Oh ok thanks i guess i will go back to the website and check it out. It didnt even show up in dos for where i could check the directory and my os is xp

11. ~Candy~

If it's not able to give you a directory in dos, and the bios is recognizing it, then you've probably got a bad drive on your hands :(

12. newcs_jr

newcs_jr Thread Starter

ok now im really confused. I got the diagnostic from the web site ran it and it couldnt even find the drive. So i got out of safe mode and the command prompt and rebooted. When I cam back on my drive was there. I could access it in dos this time. The problem is when I go into the drive it shows my mp3 folder that I had in there but nothing is in it. However when I check the properties on the drive it shows that 7 gigs is used and 3 is free, its like their there but they are hidden. Now what should I do? Thanks

13. ~Candy~

I think the drive diagnostics need to be run from dos.......

And in dos, you got a directory of the hard drive this time? How are you gettting to dos?

14. newcs_jr

newcs_jr Thread Starter

I did run the diagnostic in dos. This time when i went to dos, from windows using command prompt (not a true dos I know) it came up with my E: drive and i could check the dir. I only used command prompt because this is what i did earlier when i said it wouldnt even see it. I got into dos by going into safe mode with command prompt.

15. ~Candy~

Strange, intermittant, check cables.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice