1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weezie12, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I tried to format my hard disk. I ran FDISK and got this error message when I tried to create Extended Dos Partition: No space to create a Dos partition.
    Then: cannot create Logical Dos drive without an Extended Dos Partition on the current drive.
    Then when I try to continue and install Windows 98 I get this Internal Stack overflow has caused session to be halted. change settings in Configuration Sys file and try again. What can I do? I am on a computer at the library and can only stay on for 20 minutes at a time. so i'm hoping that someone can help soon. Thanks so much.
    One more thing. I need tcp/ip drivers to make a modem work on another computer. Where can I find these?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

What was on the hard drive before you tried to format it? Sounds like it had some non-dos partitions on it. Need to know the brand modem to direct you to drivers. If the modem has drivers, then the TCP/IP protocal should be included with your OS, all you have to do is add the protocal through the networking settings.

3. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I have a Cirrus Logic modem. PnPv34. I had this problem before and used the standard drivers. But now it won't work. It says that I need tcp/ip drivers .

4. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I had Windows 98 on the hard drive before.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try running format on the drive, it may be already partitioned.

The TCP/IP drivers came with you're OS... TCP/IP is a protocal supported by the OS, it doesn't require drivers.. Although, If your getting a "please insert disk" or "can't find file" error, try directing the dialog box to C:\windows\ or C:\windows\system\ or C:\windows\system32 as the file is probably already on your drive.. If you still can't find the file, try useing the search function in windows explorer. Otherwise, dig out the old windows disk.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/186801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice