1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hawng, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

I hope some of you can help me out here.................I recently put a 14 gig hard drive back in my computer that i had full of mp3s/wave files and movie files of my bands gigs and such .The hard drive has been a dry cool place inside a static bag for the last 2 months.

After I got my computer upgraded ,New mother board/processor , new 40 gig master drive , i installed the drive to continue "my work" and I click on the D drive and there were no files on the drive, but the weird part, the drive reports that there is only 6 gigs used.

For reasons unknown, I used win amp and opened the D drive and and half the files were there .I can listen/see the media, but i cant access it .

I have check the jumpers on the drives a 100 times, its got brand new Ide cables , and the computer sees the drive in the Bios.

this drive was my back up , 2 years worth of work,PLEASE HELP..............

2. Annorax

Annorax

Have you tried a program that can fix hard drive errors, such as one of the Norton tools?

3. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

Yes , norton, as well as Scandisk, both said the drive had no problems. The drive worked fine when I took it out ( with all precautions to prevent damage)

4. winbob

winbob

Hawng,

Try the

FDISK D: /MBR

routine to restore the backup master boot record. May help? May not? But it won't damage anything.

5. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

Didnt work Bob............Is there anything else i can do?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Replacing the master boot record on a non-booting drive will have no effect, since it's never accessed. :)

You may have changed the drive geometry when you swapped systems. Did you have the drive setup as AUTO in the old system BIOS?

7. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

I had it set to USER and it seemed to detect the drives settings,and it is set the same for the new BIOS, everything looks the same as the last.

8. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

9. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

Anyone have a suggestion?...................Anyone.................

10. cavtek

cavtek

you are the patient one ,hawng.... if you had the drive set to user ...you might want to try setting it to AUTO...just to see what happens !!!

11. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

just wanted to "bump it up"................ YEah I tried it............ didnt work.................. im at a loss

12. john1

john1

spinrite ?

13. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

well, it looks like im going to have to save my pennys for that one....................... Are there any other programs like Spinrite ?

14. john1

john1

i think you used to get a trial period,
    but i'm not sure.

Its worth trying if you get a trial.

John :)

15. Hawng

Hawng Thread Starter

No you dont get a trial period........................ but i downloaded it, ran it and then it told me that I had to buy the program, plus pay $224 to recover 12 gigs of info..................... So I did a search for data recovery software............... found a bunch of programs .............found a free one .....all the comments on it were good ,alot of people satisfied............. ran it, it locked up recovering the files...........now there all gone............ Oh well , it happens i guess, but on the plus side, I have an empty 14 gig drive now..................

Thanks to everyone who gave advice............... and I cant wait till I have another problem cause this board is the BOMB..................

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice