1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Havick, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Havick

Havick Thread Starter

I recently put in a new hard drive into my computer. its a Hitachi 160gb hardrive that i transfered from my dads old computer to my computer. when i hoocked it up the computer automaticaly detected it like it was suposed to but then it stoped reading the 40gb hard drive. I had taken them out and rejumpered them reset them and even reset the bios to fix the problem. but when i reset the bios it stoped reading all the IDE drives and wont even recognise my dvd drive. the only thing it recognises is my 4gb SCSI drive but i would figure the SCSI would be red sence its on its own. but im confused at how to get the comp to read the other drives.

2. corbs132

corbs132

ok. remove both hds, and look on the back (connector side) for jumper settings. set the 40gb to master w/ slave, and the 160 to slave. also make suer on the cable you have the hard drivs in the right configuration.

3. Havick

Havick Thread Starter

ok meby you didnt read it correctly the first time i said ive alredy done that and several times to. ive reset the jumpers and rejumpered it and nothings working even when reseting the bios where there wsa more likely the problem but when doinf that it stoped reading them alltogether no matter what i do wich is my real problem i need to get it to alteast read the drived then i can get it from there

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Sorry, if it's too obvious, but...
    "resetting the BIOS" souds like loading default settings. If that was the case, I would look for the IDE settings in BIOS, and make sure the IDE drives are auto-recognized. Most likely it is done by selecting the Primary/Secondary IDE Master/Slave with arrows, pressing Enter, then changing the "None" to "Auto". Have you tried this?

5. corbs132

corbs132

nnope didnt read i was at work on lunch break. yeah i guesstry them both in a dif pc, then remove cmos battery (BE CAREFUL) and power on and leave for about a min power down reinsert then check bios. i know you said you reset it but this is a super reset imho. clearing cmose usually works. also try malacka's suggestion

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice