1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nick0219, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

Gateway 2000
    160 MB RAM
    ONE 4 GB hard drive (the white one) and ONE 5 GB hard drive (black one)
    That is all you need to know!

Anyway the problem is that I recently took apart my old computer and I took the hard drive out and I am trying to place it in my other computer so I have a double hard drive. The problem is I set the one i want as a slave by putting that switch thingi on them and the other one as a master.
    the jumper settings are as followed:
    [​IMG]

I set them both like this:
    [​IMG]

They are all properly connected, but whenever the computer boots and the settings are in place it says Operating System not found when it has an OS installed.
    I was messing about to test something so I switched them to see if that worked? I set one to slave, the other to master. It worked! But for some reason it doesn't work the other way?
    Any ideas, please reply!

Thanks in advance,

Nick0219

Post Message: I wanted to make the black one master and the white one slave because it is a bigger hard drive.

2. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

That jumper should be two over from the IDE cable, not the power. That is if I'm reading the drive right.

3. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

i put them two small things on the actual drive as you can see in the image. they are both set right and the power is on both of them (the gray cord that has about 20 wires in it connecting to the motherboard), but it still doesn't work? it works when the white one is a master, and the black is the slave, but not the other way around? that is my problem

4. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

all i really need to know is how to set one drive as the master and the other as a slave?

any help. please

thanks

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You have them set right assuming they are both on one cable. You need to go to the BIOS setup and tell it to boot HDD-0 or HDD-1.

6. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

ok, i will try. thanks for the reply

7. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

it doesn't recognize them?

8. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

more clearly it says that there is no harddrive and it is just a zip drive that is on the bootup list. before there used to be two harddrives when they were switched (when the white was the master and the black was a slave)

9. nai6378

nai6378

go into bios with just the black hdd first and get that one done and then do the next one alot of times with hardware, each comp[onent needs to be installed seperatly until you achieve what your looking for

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, many of those old drives had compatibility issues running with different brands. Just as a test, try jumpering the WD as master and the Fuji as slave. See if they're recognized by the BIOS that way. I remember the old WD drives in particular didn't like to be a slave to another drive.

11. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

i did this and it works when the Fuji is the slave and the WD is the master. but it does not work, i repeat does not work the other way around?

that is what my issue was. i just wanted the Fuji to be the master and the WD as the slave

but it would not recognize the harddrives in the bios.?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice