1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Ques for The Sims 2 Installs - Help!

Discussion in 'Games' started by reodiva, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reodiva

reodiva Thread Starter

I have two hard drives on my machine - the C: drive (master) and my J: drive (slave). The J is used for backups and music files. For almost a year, I have had The Sims 2, The Sims 2 University and The Sims 2 Nightlife installed on the J drive, and the additional game files that automatically go to C:\My Documents\EA Games whenever you install an expansion. Everything worked wonderfully; I had no issues at all.

In April, I backed up all game files and installed Open for Business and right after, the new Family Fun Pack (yes I installed patches for both games before playing). I wasn't able to really play a lot until this month because of work unfortunately. When I started the game two days ago, I was missing objects from the Buy & build modes that I knew came with OFB and FFP. So I uninstalled both, recopied in my backed up files from before and tried to reinstall both. Much to my surprise, I LOST ALL MY GAME DATA! and then OFB would not install again. And it appeared that all the characters and items from Nightlife were missing too.

Long story short, I have had to completely uninstall all Sims 2 games and expansions, and clear out my registry. Last night I started The Sims 2 install again, with the game files going to J:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2. Install worked 100% and the game updater was a-ok. I installed the patch for the game, and started installing University. I got to 100% and the updater came on. It said that no Sims 2 game was installed, and University was being removed.

Why is this happening all of a sudden, when it never happened before? I haven't done anything different with the file locations, and I'm pathing it in the exact same direction. Can I not install the game on J: and have the additional files go to C:?? I hope someone savvy can help b/c I'm really angry that I lost everything! Thx (sorry for being long too)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice