1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HARD DRIVE question - SCSI vs SATA vs EIDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

SCSI vs SATA vs EIDE
    What are the differences between all of these?

I'll probably not use SCSI, but I was looking at the WD raptor 10K rpm hard drive (SATA). Do you need a special motherboard or certain controller to run this hard drive? And do you need a special CABLE for it? I have tons of 80pin IDE cables, but those wouldn't work?

Thanks

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Nope won't work. Different drives, cables, controllers. Some motherboards now come with the SATA interface built in. For more information check this site out. Its an OLD report on SATAs. Hard drives are now available for SATA use.

http://www.explosivelabs.com/articles/sata/

3. sin0822

sin0822

i own the 74 gig raptor. It was not supported by my mobo, so i got a host controller card for 30 dollars. It was fairly simple to set up. You boot windows, and it asks you for drivers in the beggining. You press f6 when asked, and insert the floppy. Then you find the driver, and press enter, it installs drivers for both the card and HD. Then i used western digitals copy program to copy my data from an earlier HD. Wuala! I have a bootable 10,000 rpm HD with win xp.
    The wierd thing is that the HD shows up as a SCSI drive.

I used a Siig Host controller, PCI-TO-SATA, dual channel (supports 2 HDs)
    it was not RAID.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/250192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice