1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smilin, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smilin

Smilin Thread Starter

I searched but didn't find anything on this.

I have a 60 GB Maxtor HD. This HD took a dive on me about 2-3 weeks ago. What would happen is that the system would just take FOREVER to load when this drive was attached. When I removed it from my system, my system ran fine. I have client files and misc. files that I would like to get off of it. I did do one other thing..........

I opened it. Some what out of curiosity, and somewhat because I am relatively mechanically inclined. Since opening it, the control arm just like bounces back and forth across the platters.

I don't expect to ever use this drive again, but is there some way to get the files off it....inexpensively?

2. greengeek

greengeek

I'm pretty sure that you've killed it by opening it.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Smilin...

Well...I'm pretty much of the same opinion as greengeek...

However you can always try the freezer trick, put the hard drive in a static bag, then put it in a ziploc bag, seal it, then put it in the freezer for about 4 hrs...

After the 4hrs connect it to the pc and see if you can retrieve the files ( I know it sounds crazy but I've done it, and it works...)...

4. raybro

raybro

Yup... Me too. The freezer trick does work (soemtimes). :D

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think opening it was a huge mistake if you ever wanted data from the drive. The fact that the access arm bounces around freely, seems to indicate you've broken the return spring somehow. I seriously doubt you'll be getting any data off this drive. :)

6. darkjedi

darkjedi

since you open the drive , touch the magnectic plates with a magnet ,that should destroy all the data if it hasn't been destoyed by opening it.

7. Smilin

Smilin Thread Starter

The control arm doesn't bounce around freely, it just bounces back and forth continuosly.

I had already come to terms with not being able to get the data long ago, so it's not a huge loss. BUt someone please explain to me why the drive is ruined when you open it. What happens to cause the loss of data or functionality.

8. zeddy

zeddy

hard drives are put together in a controlled environment, any particles can damage the platters.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice