Hard Drive question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

klprice

About a month ago I started getting the blue screen of death stating unable to write to Drive C (which is my hard drive). About one week later, it died. I took my computer into the shop and had the hard drive replaced. Today, my Norton Systemworks popped up and said there was an error in drive C and that Norton Disc Doctor could fix it. I did not want to run it right then so I stopped it and was going to run it overnight. Just now I got the blue screen of death again stating unable to write to Drive C and this is a brand new hard drive!! Does anyone have any clues as to what the problem may be?

Thanks so much,

Kay

Don't discount that it really is the hard drive.

If they are going to die prematurely, they do just die (that is what warranties are for)

I have had several die under warranty, some within a month.

Generally they last several years - but if you are unlucky....

Even the brand makes little difference, I have had losses from all major brands.

"I took my computer into the shop and had the hard drive replaced"

i'd take the computer back and let them deal with it!!!

klprice

I ran Norton's Disc Doctor last night. It finished and said there were no problems with C Drive. I then started opening programs to see if it "held steady". Media player said there was an update so I downloaded it. It did fine until I had to restart my computer. Then it came up with the DOS screen to open in Safe Mode. When I'd choose Safe Mode it would cycle to a blank screen and an error message would flash by so quickly I couldn't read it. Then it would shut itself off. I have Norton Go Back installed so I restarted and hit the spacebar to launch that program. It seemed to work. I was able to load Windows and open some programs. Had to leave for work so I'll know more tonight when I get home. My question is could it be software that I loaded that would cause it to have an error on the hard drive?

jiml8

It certainly could be a software problem. Software problems are 99.9% of the problems that you will get.

Windows will not test and correct its own filesystem until that filesystem is so hosed that Windows itself cannot start. This is unfortunate because HD filesystem problems are extremely common, and every other OS recognizes this fact and periodically checks.

You didn't specify your system. What windows version do you have? What HD? Size and type?

klprice

I have Windows ME, 256 mg of Ram and a 40 gig hard drive.

Once I got the new hard drive, the system ran fine. I downloaded Weatherbug over the weekend and I can't help but think that triggered something. I used Norton Go Back and took it back to a date previous to that download. It seems to be working fine tonight. I'll "push" it some the next few days as I have a 30 day warranty on labor and it ends next week.

jiml8

I downloaded Weatherbug over the weekend and I can't help but think that triggered something
Could be.

Win ME isn't famous for being stable and reliable anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online