1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ScottFL386, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ScottFL386

ScottFL386 Thread Starter

Hello All:

I have a question about a Hard Drive in a system that went bad....this is the "C" drive. It has no problems on it, something else went and therefore I am going to buy a system tomorrow...

Here is my question....The new system is an all-in-one bundle that I am picking up and already has a hard drive in it, and it is the "C" for that computer with win7 on it. My original "C" which is in the bad computer has winxp on it, and all of my important things I need to get off it.

How do I go about getting into the old "C" using the new computer to get to my files and getting them onto the new system without screwing up the new system and having 2 "C" drives in it?

Is it as easy as putting the old "C" drive into the new tower and then changing the drive letter within DISK MANAGEMENT and then have access to my files.....or will this cause major problems?

Thanks in advance:
    Scott

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. ScottFL386

I have a linksys EFG80 NAS I could plug the drive into....would that work? I am assuming that once I got the drive out of that system, the "C" would not be an issue anymore and I would have access to all the folders and files on that drive....correct?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That should work, the drive letter won't make a difference. Though you won't be able to move the installed prograqms from the drive to the new computer, they are going to have be installed on that computer.

5. ScottFL386

What about documents and other files....I should be able to get those...programs I can always re-install...

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Data files, Pictures Music Videos, Stand alone executable programs. all would be accessable.

7. ScottFL386

Sounds great....thanks for the help and I will let you know once I start this process....

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

9. ScottFL386

ok, thanks for the info...will keep an eye open for that when i attempt this...

10. ScottFL386

I got the above unit from NEWEGG as advised, however my comp is not seeing the drive...I have it set to CABLE SELECT and also tried as a slave and still nothing is showing up in the DISK MANAGEMENT section....

Any ideas???

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, when you use an external enclosure the drive generally needs to be set as master [if using ide] however do follow the enclosure maker's recommendation if different.

Next are you even sure this drive works?

12. ScottFL386

I have the drive set as MASTER and I was on a comp using Win7, I am now trying on a WinXP machine...the WinXP does not see the drive as well...

yes, the drive works...

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are sure the drive works, then connect it to the xp machine as an internal drive. This will tell you very quickly if the drive in fact works or perhaps you received a bad enclosure. Note you do not have to fully install the drive in the xp machine. Just connect the ide and pw connectors; rest the drive on something non-conductive ie a book or whatever. Pw ON and see if it is detected.

14. ScottFL386

OK, prob is on the new machine, it does not have an IDE connector...only sata...this is one of those all in one HP units from Walmart...

Also if I connect it to my WinXP machine, that drive I am trying to get into was a "C" drive on the old machine and if I try connecting that to my XP machine, won't there be a conflict due to the system seeing 2 "C" drives?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. Connect the drive [be sure jumper is set correctly] Now pw ON and enter the bios make sure the correct system drive is listed as the boot drive. The os will assign the next available drive letter to the drive you added ie F, G, or whatever.

Doing a repair install or messing with chkdsk without having important data backed up is really asking for problems. If there is anything important on this drive, make sure you copy if before doing any type of install, repair, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice