1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sparky65, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sparky65

sparky65 Thread Starter

I don't know if this is the right place to post my question. But if anyone can help please do so. I have a question about hard drives. Which is the best hard drive manufacturer. I heard from a couple of technicians that Maxtor is a piece of garbage, while other technicians say their great.

2. $teve

$teve

3. n2gun

n2gun

I have had good luck with Maxtor drives but like anything you buy there will be a bad one occasionally. Also have had good luck with Western Digital.

4. pauld63

pauld63

They're good also. Their competitors are O.K. I've only had W.D. drives with little problems. I did have one go bad several years ago and they had me a free-one on the way as soon as I called. Three year warranty!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd venture to say that there is very little difference in the major brands. You'll have times where one brand or another has a run of bad ones, or a specific model that has excessive failures, but I haven't seen any long term trends in reliability.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi, Just to add to the above replies> some manufacturers who in past had 3 yrear full replacement warranties have changed or will most likely change to only one year, while others will stay with the 3 year warranty. You should check the replacement period as one possible deciding point- the specific drive manufacturers all have this information readily available at the site.
    I have recently, for home users, replaced two Maxtor drives that somehow went bad- to be returned for full exchange, the drive has to fail the company's downloadable diagnostic tests, and you are given a code to include with your replacement under warranty request.
    Maxtor did replace these drives with tested refurbished, not brand spanking new ones, and they worked flawlessly so far.
    Both these hard drive problems were lightning related to the best of what I was able to determine- related to power surge entering the system.
    For me, not only the price vs. capacity will make up my mind- I like longer warranties!
    There are special features like peace and quiet that some companies brag about....if noise is a consideration, read about their claims about quietness. Rotational speed is another point- as well as the Ultra ATA or DMA features.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice