1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marlowe Stone, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marlowe Stone

Marlowe Stone Thread Starter

I am running win 98 II on a P III 450. My current 3.2 g HD is making periodic loud rattling noises which suggests imminent failure.
    I have purchased a Maxtor 20g HD and would like to make it the primary HD with a partition. I would like to copy all the info (including operating system - to avoid the need to reinstall
    software) from my current HD to the new one so as not to lose any info. I would also like to make the 3.2 g (old) HD the secondary drive until its failure - if that happens.
    How do I do that? Is it a good idea? Do jumpers need to be changed on the old 3.2 g drive? Will there be a conflict with the CD-ROM drive? Are there bios changes to be made? Would the easier (best ) solution be to make a clean install with Win 2000 and re-install all apps?
    Thanks for your assistance.
    MS

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Marlowe Stone, welcome to TSG.

A good clean install of an operating system is usually the best way to go......especially since you've got the prime opportunity with a brand new hard drive.

Decide which way you want to go, and we can help you from there.

A clean install will require drivers for hardware, which should be on the cdrom that came with your computer.

3. Marlowe Stone

Thanks for your reply.
    I would like to do a clean install, however, I am concerned about some large graphic files (30- 80 megs totalling about 1.2gigs) that I don't want to lose (No, I don't have a CD burner). Can I run the old 3.2 g at the same time as the freshly loaded 20g and then merely drag and drop these files from the old to the new? Will there be conflicts with o/s's or with CD- Rom drive?
    Thanks again.

4. ~Candy~

Yes, there should be no problem transferring files between the two drives.....however, programs that are installed on the old drive won't run until you re-install them through the new drive.

The cdrom shouldn't be affected.

5. Marlowe Stone

If both drive are operating at the same time how will the computer know which one to boot up first? This is related to my earlier question about the need to change jumpers and bios - do changes need to be made in those areas or will that matter?
    If both drives are partitioned what will be the drive sequence - c, d, e, f ?

6. ~Candy~

What is your current setup? Is the old hard drive partitioned now? Do you have a cdrom or burner installed right now?

The bios will dictate which drive is the boot drive....some bioses can be changed to boot from the secondary hard drives, some can't......so don't worry about that quite yet.......

You should be able to set the new drive up by following the manufacturer's instructions and using the floppy disk that came with....once you've got that one setup, then we can move along to the other stuff. Make sure you round up any floppies or cds that you may need for your hardware.

7. Marlowe Stone

Yes, old drive is partitioned. Would like to partition new drive. No, do not have CD burner or this would be much simpler. Yeh, I know, no backup of these important files is playing Russian roulette.
    Main concern is preserving files and folders - large graphic files (30-80 megs each), website, legals etc. Once I transfer files old drive and partition may be wiped and drive then used for storage of old or little used files.
    Thanks again.

8. Marlowe Stone

Forgot to mention:
    Yes there is a CD ROM but not a burner.
    No floppy came with the hard drive.

9. ~Candy~

Duh, you already said you didn't have a burner....sorry, long day......time for me to quit :(

Is your cdrom on the same cable as the current hard drive?

Who is the manufacturer of the new hard drive.....you should be able to download their software online.....actually you can use Maxtor's, I've used it with many other drives......

10. Marlowe Stone

Separate cable for CD ROM. Maxtor 20g.
    What software would I use. Their Max Blast II doesn't work with WIN 2000 (From their site)

11. ~Candy~

Does it specifically say it's not compatible with it.....or does it just not list it?

I think I'd still give it a try, have a windows 98 bootable floppy disk handy and when asked what o.s. you'll be installing pop that in.....I think all it's looking for is to be sure you're installing fat 16 or fat 32.......

12. Marlowe Stone

From Maxtor site: re MaxBlast II
    NOTE: Not intended for use with Windows NT 4.X, 2000 and XP installs.

One last question. It was suggested to me that I should re-install the old drive before installing all my apps on the new drive, because it will change the CDROM drive letter, which can cause problems with some apps. Would you agree with this?

Certainly hope the weather in Acapulco is much better than the sleet I'm dealing with today.

Thanks again for all your help.

MS

Accept that some days you are the pigeon
    ...and other days, the statue.

13. ~Candy~

Hmmm, that's interesting about the software from Maxtor.......I'll have to test that theory :D

Since you are doing partitions on your drive......I'm not sure about that, but it sounds logical.

I've never partitioned and I know by doing so the drive letters can get tricky.

Weather is great here today, rained cats and dogs yesterday....very unusual....guess you passed your cold front down here :mad:

14. Marlowe Stone

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice