1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cci704, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cci704

cci704 Thread Starter

Current system has 2 hard drives: original 10gb and an added 120 gb. Running XP home. Would like to replace the 10gb
    with a 40 gb but condition of the 40 gb is questionable. Can I replace the 120gb with the 40 gb to test it out and see if it
    is worth using as a replacement for the original 10 gb? When I am satisfied that the 40 gb is OK I would then put the 120 gb
    back in place and put the 40gb in place of the 10 gb and reload the OS to the 40 gb. Will the existing 120 gb maintain its contents thru the removal and reinstall? Thanks for your comments!

2. raybro

raybro

I'm assuming the 120GB drive is the Primary slave drive and the 10GB drive is the Primary master which has the OS installed on it. Your question is whether removing the 120 physically from the computer tower and installing the 40 will in any way cause you to harm the 120 in any way. There is only one remote possibility and that would be if you have moved either your page file or your My Documents folder to the 120 drive. If you have done neither of those, you should be OK to remove the 120 and install the 40. What do you have on the 120GB drive?

Also, unless you just want to do so, you do not have to do an install of the OS on the 40GB drive if and when the time comes. There are programs available which will clone the content of the 10GB drive to the 40GB drive and you just go on as before.

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice