1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Racing - CPU at 50 percent usage when no applications are running

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by THEECAPTAIN, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THEECAPTAIN

THEECAPTAIN Thread Starter

My computer normally sat idle with 2% of the CPU being used. For some time now, the computer sounds like the hard drive is racing, and the CPU is being used 50% of the time.

I'm attaching a screen shot.

I think I understand that if the system idle program were at a high value, that would mean exactly that, the system was idle for most of the time.

The System is showing about 50 on the CPU tab (mem usage is 36k)
    The System Ide Process is showing about 50 on the CPU tab (mem usage is 28K)
    At the bottom of the Windows Task Manager it states the CPU Usage is 50%, with 55 processes running.

Attached Files:

2. THEECAPTAIN

Also cannot get my computer to shut down it just hangs, so I have to unplug it to get it to shut down. (I"ve left it on all night to see if it would shut down, and it won't)

3. THEECAPTAIN

Here is one more screen shot - I let the system sit and stabilize for this one

Attached Files:

4. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

Click the Processes tab and post back with the name of the process that's using the CPU the most.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060473