1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Randomly Not Detected - Hard Disk Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omnipoint, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omnipoint

Omnipoint Thread Starter

I was laying in bed and heard my computer restart for seemingly no reason. I get up to look at the screen and I get the error "3rd Slave Hard Disk Error" I try to continue but since Ubuntu is installed on the now faulty hard drive, it says error: no such device: - device name - Entering rescue mode - grub rescue>... which I've seen before, it's telling me that it can't find the Ubuntu installation. I have windows as my primary OS on the first hard drive (the one that's still detected) and manually choose windows before the computer starts. I went into BIOS to try and change the boot sequence, which has caused the grub rescue screen before, but the 2nd hard drive is no longer detected. How can I get passed the grub rescue screen? What could of possibly happened to my hard drive in such a seemingly random way? I have a 3rd unused hard drive, am I better off just installing windows on it and starting over? I don't want to lose everything on my 2nd hard drive though.

I tried starting it with the cords plugged into the primary hard drive into the 2nd faulty one, it's spinning but still not detecting it

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

For over 20 years now, all hard disk drives have been intelligent devices that keep numerous items of information in a hidden area called the "system area" If, for whatever reason, the drive's controller (also on the drive) cannot read from that system area or its contents have become corrupted, the drive never comes ready and does not report its existence to the PC. It seems to me that has happened to the drive you are asking about.
    There are some tricks that may get it to reappear temporarily; but, regardless, there is absolutely no way to permanently fix it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice