1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive recognised but not appearing in File Explorer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aaronaqua, Feb 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. aaronaqua

aaronaqua Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-9220e RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3974 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 80 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 27 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 02XD38
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have two external hard drives. One works fine with no issues. The other one does not. It is a WD My Passport External Hard Drive.

My computer recognises that the hard drive is connected to the computer. I can see it in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers but the hard drive does not show in File Explorer enabling me to access it.

The top solution after googling was to go to Disk Managment and Change Drive Letter and Paths, however when I tried to do that, the option was greyed out. See screenshot.

[​IMG]

Help would be appreciated. This has been an issue for a long time and the things on this hard drive are important to me. Thank you.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    This may be a dumb question. But in the disk management, do you click on the "Disk1" or on the partition itself? You can't change if you click "Disk1"

3. aaronaqua

aaronaqua Thread Starter

It's the same. Can't change it by right clicking on the partition itself or "Disk1". As you can see in the screenshot, the only avaiable options are Delete Voliume and Help.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    On Disk 1, the first partition is an EFI hidden partition that is usually on Disk 0 in a set up like yours, do you know how that happened ? Is the first partition on Disk 0 also EFI ?

Is it a Dell Inspiron 3185 2in1 ? Can you post it's Service Tag please ?

Also I think you have a 32GB eMMC drive for Disk 0 and it's very nearly full, I know that can be unavoidable though but it's not helping things.

5. aaronaqua

aaronaqua Thread Starter

No, I do not know how that happened... I assume the computer came like that.

Yes, the first partition on Disk 0 is also EFI.

Yes, it is a Dell Inspiron 3185 2in1. I typed wmic bios get serialnumber into Command Prompt to get the Servic Tag. It is 76K29L2. I hope that's what you were after.

Yes. I am aware this computer is a piece of ****. It was the cheapest thing I could find after my last laptop died. 32GB is not much at all. But as I said in my original post, I have two external hard drives. One works with no problems, and one has issues.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try using TestDisk to recover the files as shown here :- https://www.wintips.org/how-to-recover-files-from-damaged-inaccessible-disk/

Connect both external drives before running TestDisk so you will have somewhere to copy any recovered files to.

I would read through the guide at the link first and if you have any questions ask them here before you start the recovery process.

7. aaronaqua

aaronaqua Thread Starter

I downloaded TeskDisk and I was following the guide. I got up to "Step 10, Case 2, d. Now be patient until TestDisk analyzes your disk. (This operation may take some time)."

This operation may take some time indeed, it is going through an "Analyse Cylinder" process, counting upwards at 1 per second. Right now, I am at about 350/243196. At this rate, it will take about 70 hours to finish... I do not have 70 hours.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think it's ok to use the computer for other things while it's analysing. Can't you leave it powered up until it finishes ?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice