Hard drive recognised but not appearing in File Explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aaronaqua

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A6-9220e RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3974 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 80 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 27 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 02XD38
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have two external hard drives. One works fine with no issues. The other one does not. It is a WD My Passport External Hard Drive.

My computer recognises that the hard drive is connected to the computer. I can see it in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers but the hard drive does not show in File Explorer enabling me to access it.

The top solution after googling was to go to Disk Managment and Change Drive Letter and Paths, however when I tried to do that, the option was greyed out. See screenshot.

Help would be appreciated. This has been an issue for a long time and the things on this hard drive are important to me. Thank you.

First Name
Morten
This may be a dumb question. But in the disk management, do you click on the "Disk1" or on the partition itself? You can't change if you click "Disk1"

aaronaqua

This may be a dumb question. But in the disk management, do you click on the "Disk1" or on the partition itself? You can't change if you click "Disk1"
It's the same. Can't change it by right clicking on the partition itself or "Disk1". As you can see in the screenshot, the only avaiable options are Delete Voliume and Help.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
On Disk 1, the first partition is an EFI hidden partition that is usually on Disk 0 in a set up like yours, do you know how that happened ? Is the first partition on Disk 0 also EFI ?

Is it a Dell Inspiron 3185 2in1 ? Can you post it's Service Tag please ?

Also I think you have a 32GB eMMC drive for Disk 0 and it's very nearly full, I know that can be unavoidable though but it's not helping things.

aaronaqua

No, I do not know how that happened... I assume the computer came like that.

Yes, the first partition on Disk 0 is also EFI.

Yes, it is a Dell Inspiron 3185 2in1. I typed wmic bios get serialnumber into Command Prompt to get the Servic Tag. It is 76K29L2. I hope that's what you were after.

Yes. I am aware this computer is a piece of ****. It was the cheapest thing I could find after my last laptop died. 32GB is not much at all. But as I said in my original post, I have two external hard drives. One works with no problems, and one has issues.

aaronaqua

I downloaded TeskDisk and I was following the guide. I got up to "Step 10, Case 2, d. Now be patient until TestDisk analyzes your disk. (This operation may take some time)."

This operation may take some time indeed, it is going through an "Analyse Cylinder" process, counting upwards at 1 per second. Right now, I am at about 350/243196. At this rate, it will take about 70 hours to finish... I do not have 70 hours.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I think it's ok to use the computer for other things while it's analysing. Can't you leave it powered up until it finishes ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online