1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Recognition Riddle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Denow, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Denow

John Denow Thread Starter

Hello again...

I have just encountered a strange occurence that I need your assitance with. I had previously installed an ATA 100 adaptor card in one of my old computers (P-II 333mHz...Win 98) only because it came free with the new hard drive and claimed to be able to boost the speed of the hard drive. I uninstalled the adaptor card to use in another computer. I had hard-drive "C" on the adaptor IDE 1 and "D" on the adaptor's IDE 2. My CD-RW was on the MB's IDE 1 and DVD/CD-ROM on MB's IDE 2.

What I hoped to do was have drive "C" now on MB's IDE 1 as master and drive "D" as slave on MB's IDE 1.

The MB's IDE 2 would have CD-RW as master and DVD/CD-ROM as slave.

The CD's are recognized fine, but drive "D" does not detect. I've double checked all my jumpers and connections. When I hook up drive "D" alone on either IDE cable, it's detected.

I did get it detected by having "C" as IDE 1 master and DVD/CD-ROM as IDE 1 Slave...and CD-RW as IDE 2 master and "D" as slave. As I said, it's detected, but the order in "My Computer" is messed up.

Does anyone have any idea why the second hard drive would not be detected when hooked up as slave on MB's IDE 1???

Thanks in advance for the assistance.......

PS...I did uninstall the ATA 100 adaptor card before removing it from the PC and attempting to redo the cable connections

UPDATE.....I swapped the cables and hooked both hard drives on IDE 2 and CD drives on IDE 1. That causes "C" to show up fine, CD drives show up as "D" & "E"...second hard drive shows up as "F". It appears that the second hard drive only detects when hooked to IDE 2.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Triple check the jumpers.
    Also check in the BIOS that Primary slave , secondary master and secondary slave are not set to NONE or something other than Auto.
    UPDATE.....I swapped the cables and hooked both hard drives on IDE 2 and CD drives on IDE 1. That causes "C" to show up fine, CD drives show up as "D" & "E"...second hard drive shows up as "F". It appears that the second hard drive only detects when hooked to IDE 2.
    This indicates that the drive was not recognised by the BIOS but was picked up by Win98. If you go into Control panel/system/performance/files access? you will see that it is running in DOS mode.

3. John Denow

Dave...Thanks so much for the quick response. You nailed it!! I had gone into BIOS and changed the boot order from SCSI to "C" after removing the adaptor card, but completley missed the settings you mentioned. Both slaves were set to none since I had no need to detect them with the adaptor card installed. I changed them both to "auto" and things were recognized without a hitch.

One question though....When all the detect settings were changed to "auto", then mode also changed to "auto" except for the primary slave, which showed up as "LBA". I assume that setting is correct since it's the default, but what does that setting designate??

Thanks again for the help....John

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If your disks are likely to be fairly static you can use the Autodetect Hard disk feature from the main BIOS menu. This will fill in the values for you on the screen you just changed and shave a few milliseconds off the boot time. If, like me, you swap disks regularly, you should set them to Auto, including that LBA. The disks will be autodetected on every boot.

5. John Denow

Things are working so I will leave well enough alone...was just curious what "LBA" stood for.

I notice a tremendous improvement it boot-up time since removing the adaptor card. It took quite a while for that to detect when it was installed. I was going to try using it in my newer (P-4 1.6 gHz win-xp) unit, but I don;t want to risk slowing the boot-up time on the new unit.

Thanks again

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Logical block addressing is a technique that allows a computer to address a hard disk larger than 528 megabytes. A logical block address is a 28-bit value that maps to a specific cylinder-head-sector address on the disk. 28 bits allows sufficient variation to specify addresses on a hard disk up to 8.4 gigabytes in data storage capacity. Logical block addressing is one of the defining features of Enhanced IDE (EIDE), a hard disk interface to the computer bus or data paths.

Cut and paste from here as I'm too lazy to think :D

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214074,00.html

7. John Denow

Thanks for the clarification

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice