Hard Drive Recovery Advice

no17

I need some advice. I have an old computer that I need to get data from but was unsure if it is safe to try and hook up the computer and see if it still works or not. The thing is it's been sitting for at least 7 or 8 years so i am not sure if that is a good idea or not. The second option would obviously be to unscrew the Hard Drive and hook it up to one of those Hard Drive Docking stations. But I never did it before but it looks easy enough.
I did look at the Hard and from what I can is it looks to be in good condition but on the inside, I don't know.

Attachments

Oddba11

Jim
Age shouldn't matter. Just ensure everything is still inserted/connected properly.

But if you are just trying to get files from the drive, pull it and use a dock or adapter. Less hassle, and you have a spare drive when you are done.

no17

Age shouldn't matter. Just ensure everything is still inserted/connected properly.

But if you are just trying to get files from the drive, pull it and use a dock or adapter. Less hassle, and you have a spare drive when you are done.
Yea, i just want the files i have on there so I probably just do what you say and pull it out. Doesn't the mean I can also add files to the hard drive if I wanted to?

Oddba11

Jim
Copy off what you need, then reformat, and you can use it however you like. If you have an available slot inside the new computer, you could skip the adapter and just install it into the new PC.

no17

Copy off what you need, then reformat, and you can use it however you like. If you have an available slot inside the new computer, you could skip the adapter and just install it into the new PC.
It doesn't look good. I just got the docking station in and hooked up but its not reading the hard drive. Not sure if the HD is corrupt or i am doing something wrong.

texasbullet

Ramon
Might be that your hard drive is already dead.
Does your computer recognizes the docking station with the HDD.

no17

Might be that your hard drive is already dead.
Does your computer recognizes the docking station with the HDD.
I got it to read it but now it says it needs to repair errors on the hard drive so i don't know if that will help it. I don't want any data to be deleted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online