1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IPPCA, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IPPCA

IPPCA Thread Starter

I have a IDE/SATA cable Adapter to convert an internal hard drive to an external hard drive. Using Windows XP home. When I plug in the USB to the working computer the computer doesn't recognize the drive. I have connected another hard drive and it assigned a drive # but it has no files on it.

I know both drives have files on them. Is there anyway to recover the files without paying someone big bucks?

2. Hughv

Hughv

What kind of HD is this? (Laptop/Desktop/Brand/Size)
    Why did you remove it?
    Does the adapter have a power adapter? Does it have a light?
    Can you hear the drive spin up?

3. IPPCA

IPPCA Thread Starter

They are all 3.5 internal IDE PC hard drives. All are set as master drives.

WD5000AAJB (500 MB)was removed and a new HD installed when I had a OS failure and didn't want to loose the data when I reinstalled OS.

WD1200 (120 MB)was replaced when power supply went out and then wouldn't boot from HD.

WD Caviar 34300, Quantum Fireball CX and Conner CFA850A are the three that came out of old PC's.

The WD Caviar 34300 has been seen under the device manager but then disappears. My computer never assignes a letter to it. You can hear when it recognizes the drive and then when it drops it. But never assigns a letter to it.

Yes the adapter has a power supply and both the power supply and adapter have lights and all lights are on. I can hear the HD spin and they do get heated up, but still unable to see HD in My Computer. I believe all HD are NTFS formatted but I dont' think they had more then one partition.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try connecting them straight to the Motherboard.

5. Hughv

Hughv

What do you see in disk management?
    Since they're all master, I assume they are on different channels?

6. IPPCA

IPPCA Thread Starter

I've never slaved a HD before. Only the WD Caviar shows up in the Disk Manager but only for a short time, then it disappears.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice