hard drive reinstall, have to backup files..HELP PLEASE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kellymarie05

hello,

i posted a thread a few days ago, but didn't get any response to my problem on the windows vista section of the forum, so i'm hoping to have better luck here.

I have a relatively new dell laptop, and its succumbed to not booting properly-
on booting, it attempts to load the dell media direct, i dont know why, and then the screen goes blue, and among some of the text on the blue page, it says
config_list_failed

Stop:0x00000073(0x00000001, 0xc0000170, 0x00000001, 0xF6BB5bb8)

Well, I guess my only option (unless someone knows otherwise) is for me to have to totally reinstall windows and clear my hard drive, but i never created a backup, so I NEED to access the important files still on my computer and back those up. A dell tech I talked to said to go to the geek squad and they'd take care of it for me- for 100 dollars and it'd take up to 5 days).

I tend to be a little tach savvy, and if anyone can explain to me, how i could backup my own hard drive, or how i could take the harddrive out from my laptop, and maybe put into my desktop, and transfer files over that way, that would be GREAT! I just dont have the time/patience/money to wait for 5 days while a stranger transfers over(and maybe even looks at) my files.

please help if you can.
I appreciate it so much!:eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online