1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive replace

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toadman77, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I need a little help I am upgrading my hard drive, I bought a 60 gig hard drive to replace my 12 gig.Which is the best way to take everything from my 12 gig and put it in my 60 gig without losing anything.My 12 gig has about 6 gig used on it .My 12 gig will go in another machine after and my 60 gig will be in the new machine.I am running windows 98 se on a p4. Hope u can help.
    thks
    toadman

2. brianF

brianF

Most if not all hard drive manufacturers have a utility program downloadable that will do a drive copy. Leave your current drive in, connect the new drive as slave, and run the software, when done you just change the jumpers and should be good to go.
    Check the web site of the drive manufacturer

3. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Thks but I have no software for the drive just a format and partition diskette. What other solution s are there.
    thks toadman

4. Vypr

Vypr

Lucky your using Windows 98, it's quite easy to do what I think you want.

I take it you want to copy everything over, including your OS from the 12 Gb into the 60Gb.

First of all, install the 60 Gb drive as a secondary drive, partition it as you want it (I'm assuming you are not going to use the 60Gb as one partition?)

Once you have it partitioned to your satisfaction, from Windows Explorer, make sure all hidden and system files are visible, grab the whole contents of the drive and copy it onto the primary partition of your new drive.

Go and make a cup of tea, it might take a while.

Once it's done, make sure you have a Win98 boot disk, power the machine down and remove the 12 Gb drive and replace it with the 60 Gb, one then start the computer with the boot disk.

At the DOS prompt go into FDISK and mark the primary (C:) partition as Active (This will make the disk bootable).

Exit FDISK and reboot when it prompts you to, still with the boot fisk in place.

From the Dos prompt type SYS C:

THis will copy the system files from the floppy onto the hard drive. Remove the floppy drive and reboot, you should now have all your OS running from your nice new HD without having to re-install Windows.

5. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

thks but i did it through the diskette that came with the hard drive and it worked . your way sounds pretty good too.you were mentioning partition i did just 1 partition meaning i just copied the 5.1 gig that was on my 12 gig to the 60 gig and i guess that would be 1 partition should i leave it has 1 or do more and how is that done? thks for the help
    toadman

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

If you want more partions(divide your drive into several smaller sections) you can do it in a couple of ways.

1) Run Fdisk from a command prompt. Will let you partition the drive but wipes all data and you will have

2) programs such as partition magic will let you do a non destructive repartition on the fly.

Partition magic is a great program but Fdisk is free.

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

If you want more partions(divide your drive into several smaller sections) you can do it in a couple of ways.

1) Run Fdisk from a command prompt. Will let you partition the drive but wipes all data and you will have to reformat your drive.

2) programs such as partition magic will let you do a non destructive repartition on the fly.

do you need to?...not really. you might see a small increase in performance if you put the swapfile on its own partition but not really a big deal.

I use seperate partitions because my wife is computer illiterate and its easier to say

Partition magic is a great program but Fdisk is free.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/100104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice