1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive REPLACEMENT and BOOT SEQUENCE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by helpseeker, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I have a laptop with a fully operational hard drive, but I want to replace it with a larger hard drive I just acquired (not sure if it's been formatted), and then load it with Win98SE and other software. I made a bootable floppy, and have the original Win98SE CD and the Microsoft floppy "Boot Disk, Windows 98 Series" that came with a different computer.

Having never done something like this before, I could use and will appreciate some guidance.

First, before removing the current HDD, what should be the proper boot sequence?

After physically installing the new HDD I believe I have to format it by running fdisk, so what disk/CD should I use to boot from? And if I'm booting from one of the floppies, at what point do I install the Win98 CD?

Any other tips and suggestions also will be appreciated. Thanks to all.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have the ability to use the floppy drive and cdrom at the same time?

Do you know if the Windows CD is bootable?

3. Rockn

Rockn

You could buy an adapter for your notebook hard drive and connect it to a PC, make a ghost image of the notebook drive then install your replacement (larger drive) into the PC and write the image to it. Put the larger drive in the laptop and away you go.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705

Most new hard drives come with some sort of imaging software.
    Unless your current drive is a mess with programs, etc. this is a much faster solution than re-installing an OS again.

4. helpseeker

Yes, I can use both drives at the same time.
    I don't know if the win98 CD is bootable. Other than trying it, how can I find out?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Windows 98 CD is bootable and provides the tools required to partition and format the drive. There should be no need for a boot floppy. Just make sure to set the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM drive is the first boot device.

6. helpseeker

Yeah, that would be nice, but I don't have a PC to do that with. I also don't have ghosting software.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As Triple said, set your bios to boot from the cdrom first and give it a shot. No harm will be done to test the cd. MOST 98SE cds I've seen are bootable. I believe there may be some OEM cds that aren't though ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/420303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice