1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive replacement -pros & cons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by norco1, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norco1

norco1 Thread Starter

i intend to upgrade my dell dim L (7.5 gb) with a 40 gb hard drive. it seems simply copying to the new drive would be more convenient. is there a benefit to leaving both drives in? please advise.

2. active95

active95

The obvious thing would be the extra storage . Also can use the old drive to backup important files/e-mails ( in case that the main drive "goes out"). Also can put the virtual swap file onto it ( thus having less fragmentation). Also can install an OS and "play around " with it , without the fear of loosing anything ( as in , on the main drive Windows and on the secondary drive Linux)
    Oh yea , i forgot about con's. Since you add a new drive , space inside the computer can became limited ( as in cramped) thus traping more hot air making the computer run hotter .... and since heat is not good to the computer :)
    Also might have a power supply issue ( since you add a new peripheral which will "suck " from the power supply). It's less likely since a hard drive usualy uses 10-15 W, but you never know.

3. norco1

norco1 Thread Starter

thanks active 95 for your expertise, time and interest. will certainly take your advise seriously purchase time.

4. active95

active95

My pleasure :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/89439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice