1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by banjo_2k, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banjo_2k

banjo_2k Thread Starter

Hi, I have a hp omnibook xe 4100 and the hard drive has packed up - (ticking) the model of the hard drive is a ibm travelstar ic25n020atcs04-0 and is only 20gb

i can purchase the same one but they are expensive for such a little hard drive

Can i change the hard drive for a totally different model or do i have to keep it the same?

Also how do i find out the type of hardrive it is as others i have seen do not have this type of connector?

thanks for your help

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Yours is a standard PATA drive using a standard 44-conductor PATA connector. It is a given the system will handle a drive as large as 137 Gigabytes; but, it may go even higher depending on whether your board and OS supports 48-bit addressing.

Just be sure you get Parallel ATA (PATA) as opposed to Serial ATA (SATA). The connectors are very different. You'll need a drive with a 2.5-inch form factor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=380&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

As you shop, pay attention to the fact that you can usually get a drive with a three-year warranty for just a very few dollars more than the cheapest on in the list. Example: This drive for $55 carries a one-year warranty while this one for $60 carries three and this one for $60 carries five years.

Sometimes the warranty periods aren't listed on the dealer's web site and you have to get that information on the manufacturer's site. All Western Digital Scorpio drives carry a three-year warranty while Seagate's Momentus drives carry five years. Most drives carry only one year so if you shop smartly and pay just a very few extra bucks, you get a far better warranty.

Another consideration: I would be careful about getting fooled into buying an extended warranty on a hard disk from a dealer. I have a lot of first-hand experience that the replacement procedure from Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Toshiba and Hitachi and they are all fast and relatively trouble-free. Two Seagate swaps I did recently were advance replacements. It cost me $20 to do it this way (advance) and Seagate furnished a prepaid return shipping label and a box to ship it in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice