1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cammy511, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cammy511

Cammy511 Thread Starter

my hard drive is getting rather noisy it makes grinding noises when ever i open an application so i think its time for replacement, i have and external hard drive which is 640 GB is there a way i can remove that one so i can use it in my PC and also will it last as long as an normal hard drive,

The external drive is a simple tech 640 gigabyte desktop external drive, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to open this damn thing so if i can able to use this in my PC how do i open it ?

please respond asap thanks:D

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Does the drive presently in your machine have an IDE or SATA interface? If the drive in the enclosure has the same interface which you probably won't know until you open the enclosure, then yes you could use it in your machine.

With hard drives as cheap as they are today, I wouldn't tear up an external enclosure if the drive in the enclosure is working OK to use the hard drive out of it.

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I bought an external to take apart for my laptop.....it worked.
    Like the post says above you just as well buy a hard drive...in my case however there was the choice of a few minute drive versus over a hundred mile round trip to buy an internal.
    If you are strapped for cash however it will work as long as you have the right interface...was sata in my situation....I had to take off a piece and put on the other drive..no big deal....just took my time...20 minute job

4. Hughv

Hughv

In many cases, the trim pieces just slide off and the screws will be found underneath.
    Send us a picture if you're still having trouble.
    External drives are the same as internal, so the life is basically the same.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A 640gig WD drive is as cheap as $67 at the egg. The black series with 32meg of cache is only $74. Both with free shipping. I would just order one and use the external for backups, image files, etc.

6. Cammy511

Cammy511 Thread Starter

well the trim pieces sliding off that's what i though i took all the screws out but they are stuck :S

7. Cammy511

Cammy511 Thread Starter

thanks for the responses but one question once i have transfered all my files and pluged it in to the existing sata cables will it automatically be named drive c ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice