Hard Drive RPM Question?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PCMan78

Is there really a big difference between a 5400RPM HD comparision to a 7200RPM? Is it worth dieing over?

It's only how fast info is accessed from your H/D. As far as system speed, RAM is more effective.

I have a 7200 RPM drive as my primary master and an older 5400 RPM drive as primary slave. Both are bootable. During normal use in Windows, I can see no difference between the two. Although I've never timed it, the 7200 RPM drive does seem to boot a little quicker. :cool:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is more than platter speed in play when you're talking about effective access times. Newer drives have greater data density, so one rev puts more data under the heads. Also, the seek time is an issue that will affect overall throughput. That being said, in drives of the same age, the 7200 RPM will probably be significantly faster in effective data access times, especially for large files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online