1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Self Test Error #1 - 07 Fail & Reinstalling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kaginger, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaginger

kaginger Thread Starter

Dec 14, 2008
    This problem started with a bad driver file from my printer. I was able to get my desktop to work, but it has crashed my laptop.

I have been trying to reinstall operating system (XP) on my Compaq Presario V2000. I deleted the partition and did the slower version of the formatting the partition. It game back with an error message that there was a partmgr.sys driver error. It suggested to disable the BIOS memory options by starting up in safe mode. I had no idea how to do that, but when I was there ran the hard drive self test and came up with test error #1 - 07 fail. I also reloaded the setup defaults for the PhoenixBIOS.

How do I fix this problem (the self-test and ultimately getting my computer to accept the reinstall)?

2. srhoades

May 15, 2003
    To fix the self test you need to replace the hard drive. That's the whole point of a self test, if it fails it means your drive is bad.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779725