1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive setup for video and audio production

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superman1013, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superman1013

superman1013 Thread Starter

For a year I've had constant mess with hard drive organization. i'd like to solve that but not sure exactly what the best setup should be for my workflow. Here is the programs I use for my business which requires both Video, Photo and Audio editing. I am using an iMac Intel Core i7 processor with 2GB of Video Ram. I have four USB 3 slots and two Thunderbolt slots which are already taken up for two display monitors. Below is the software I use and what I use each one for. Video: Premiere Pro, After Effects and Speedgrade. Footage is converted to Apple Pro Res. Photo Editing: Lightroom, Photoshop and digital scanning Audio: Avid Pro Tools, Adobe Audition CC and Reason. I edit, mix and produce music tracks and also edit audio for podcasts. Out of all those software programs I use and what I do with each one should I do this for my hard drive management? Have one External Hard Drive that holds every media file such as video, audio and photos Get a second External Hard Drive for cache files such as Render files? (known as scratch disk in Premiere.) Get a third external drive for all exports of completed media files. get a fourth external hard drive large enough to backup drives 1 through 3. I once read an article that said I should be using one external hard drive per software program. That sounds like overkill to me. Why would I need external hard drives for every program I use? Can someone please give me advice as to whether I'm in the right ballpark for finally getting my hard drives organized?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Typically, you would have an OS drive (which would also store all of your software).

As for audio/video editing, for best results, you would typically use two drives. Data is read from one drive and written to the other. This alleviates the bottleneck of trying to read and write to a single drive. I would recommend internal drives over external drives, but external drives should work as well, assuming you have a proper interface (ie: eSATA or USB3).

And as always, ensure you make backups of any data that you don't want to lose. Hardware fails all the time, typically without any warning. And external drives fail more often then internal models.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice