Hard Drive Size anf Files Don't Match

Blakes7

Hi! I just did a fresh install of windows 10 pro last week. Everything is working great. I'm running an AMD A10-5800K, a seagate st500dmo 02 hard drive, and an asus f2a55-m lk motherboard. After 3 days, I checked the properties of my drive, and instead of 19gb it showed 49 gb used. I checked the size of all my files and directories, but I can't account for the extra 30 gb. I have avast essential one anti-virus and malwarebytes. I did a micro trend housecall scan, and I was clean. Where did the extra 30 gbs come from? I haven't done a windows update yet, and have a lot of files waiting to be installed. Could that be where the 30gb is? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Couriant

James
Probably one of two things, one - the file size is not reporting the true usage. For example you are using a 500GB drive but Windows reports it as maybe 470GB. This is normal. Two, it may be updates that has been downloaded for Windows and others as you mentioned. Once you install the update it should delete the install files.

You should use TreeSize Free | JAM Software in Administrator Mode (which you can select during/after install) to check your drive and confirm where you are losing the 30GB of space.

Blakes7

Thanks for the reply. I ran treesize and found out windows is a lot larger than it shows in the properties of the directory. Thanks.

Couriant

James
If you open Windows folder, what folder shows the highest?

WinSxS = Windows Side by Side

Do NOT delete, it is necessary. It stores a Windows 10 image, which is what allows for driver/update/upgrade rollbacks and recovery from corrupted files.

It's not actually the size that Windows (or Treesize) will report, as it contains hard links to files in use in other parts of the system. So files really only exist in one place but are getting counted multiple times.

More info:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/clean-up-the-winsxs-folder

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...etermine-the-actual-size-of-the-winsxs-folder

Blakes7

Thanks for all the info. I won't delete anything. Thanks for answering my question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online