1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive size is incorrect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sailing4095, Dec 10, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sailing4095

sailing4095 Thread Starter

I have a 10.2 Gig hardrive, but my sytem only thinks it is 1.4 Gig? Any ideas how to resolve.

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

Where are you getting this 1 gig number from? BIOS? Windows?

How did you install / format the drive? What OS are you using?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

3. sailing4095

sailing4095 Thread Starter

windows 98 and size from windows

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Ok, first thing is to make sure that BIOS is seeing it correctly.

Also, if you boot from floppy and run FDISK and choose #4, what does it say about the drive?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

5. Hamp42

Hamp42

I have installed a Fujitsu Drive in a computer and set up the BIOs for the drive. I also used fdisk but after completed, it says it is 500mb instead of 8.0Gb. LBA will not work in the BIOS (Locks up)

6. Vypr

Vypr

What model of motherboard are you using? Some older boards do not recognise high capacity drives, also check what partitions are set up on the drive, it may be that only a 1Gb partition has been created and the rest of the space is free.

7. Hamp42

Hamp42

It is in a Pentium 120 motherboard. The primary partition info (from fdisk) said that the drive size was 504mb. It's my niece's computer (kinda old)

8. Vypr

Vypr

That could be the problem then, alot of the old original Pentium boards could only recognise up to 2Gb drives. I recently had to fix a machine that had that exact same problem, basicaaly you have two options.

Option 1
    Find out what make the motherboard is. You can find this out by checking the ID string of the BIOS when the machine boots.

Go to http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html for more help. This site will help you discover the make and model of your motherboard. Go to the manufacturers website and see if there is a limit on the HD size for your motherboard, and if so, if there is a flash BIOS upgrade that will correct the problem.

Option 2

Check if there is a jumepr setting on your hard drive that will limit it to 2 Gb. It;s not the best solution because it means you effectively lose 8 Gb of drive space, but it will make the drive usable on the system.

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Option 3

Down load a disk overlay program that tricks the system into using the full area of the drive.
    The one for Fujitsu is no longer free.
    http://www.ontrack.com/fujitsu/

You may have received this in the form of an install floppy with the new hard drive.

Maxtors and Western Digital drives use their own bios overlay software. At least theirs is free and can be found on the manufacturers web site.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I have used Maxtor's overlay on a variety of drives.....it should do the trick quite nicely ;) as a matter of fact, just used it on a Western Digital drive that wouldn't recognize the Western Digital overlay program.......go figure.......:confused:

11. Rockn

Rockn

Ummm.....who's thread is this anyway? I thought sailing4095 started it? I am answering his/her thread....It would seem like a BIOS limitation if it isn't detecting it there correctly.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice