1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive sizes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewie1012, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I have read in a couple of places on this forum that win98 won't work with drives over 30 gigabytes. Is this true? I have a sixty gig drive and I was going to build a gaming system for my kids. I want use win 98 SE. Will this work?

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

Yes I have WIN 98 and installed a 60GB drive, although I recall at the time there being something about a 64 GB limit, but I'm not sure now.

The real limitation would be your system's BIOS and whether that allows greater than 32GB. A general rule is somewhere during 1999 the mobs's and BIOS's will recognize over 32 GB. Even if it's an older BIOS, if you have or are able to do a BIOS upgrade (flash), it may bring it up to snuff.

Even if your BIOS is limited, the software that comes with the HD, or you can download, can install a BIOS overlay to fool your system that the HD isn't larger than 32GB, yet you get full use of your 60GB drive. :)

3. chewie1012

Thanks Buckaroo.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I have a 60 running 98 as well. Didn't want to mess with a bios update, so I just used the software overlay program that should come with the drive so that Windows will recognize the entire drive.

5. kramnnim

kramnnim

FAT32 is limited to 32GB, I believe, so you'd have to partition the drive...

EDIT: I'm wrong yet again, looks like the limit is over 120GB. :eek:

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

7. chewie1012

Thanks Candy and friends.

8. buckaroo

buckaroo

Kraminnim, that's okay, it can be a little confusing. FAT 32 is limited to 32 GB in WIN XP and 2000, so under those OS's you need to convert to NTFS for larger drives. :cool:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice