1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Hard Drive slowing me down??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mason4290, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mason4290

mason4290 Thread Starter

So first off some background info. I built a gaming rig about 11 months ago, I have a pretty good understanding of how they work. Recently I have been playing games like bf1 and the new remastered call of duty and when I play it my "disk" space is being eaten up, and by this I mean I go on task manager and it tells me that it is at 100%. Somehow going through computer classes I have managed to never learn a thing about how to resolve this. I have a 1tb hard drive with still about 150 gigabytes left on it. I really can't understand how to fix this or even what is causing the problem. Keep in mind it only happens when I play games and not just when surfing the web. Thanks for the help in advanced, and if you don't mind explaining why this is happening that'd be great, I'd love to learn more.

2. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

Have you Defraged your computer?
    Is this temporary? Does the space return after a complete system shut down?

3. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The CPU usage reported by the task manager for "disk" is notoriously inaccurate, often reporting 100% when you are nowhere near using that percentage.
    On the other hand, the slowest thing in your PC, by far, is the hard disk drive with most of them delivering well under 200MBps. Most newer SSD's will kick that up to about 400MBps and eliminate the seek times which is another time sink.
    If you tend to leave the PC on, it has been automatically defragging at 1 A.M. every Wednesday.

4. mason4290

mason4290 Thread Starter

I have not defragged my computer before, I have never really had to, I know about it but I have never really had this problem, even with previous gaming rigs. Unfortunately it seems to be happening more often, I just booted up and it is telling me it's at 100% and the only thing open is Steam and it isn't even downloading things.

Well the thing is, even if it was inaccurate, I can feel my PC being slower and choppier. Sometimes I do leave it running over night while I download a game (I have rather poor download speeds), but wouldn't that help me out if it's defragging itself?

Thanks to both of you for your input, I am happy to see I might be able to get some help, it's nearly unbearable

5. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

If your PC is running slow or has issues with suddenly freezing, a very common cause, these days, is a failing hard disk drive and a dirty little secret is that hard disk drives are outrageously fragile when they are running. In desktop PC's, the general root cause is a defect in one of the parts used to manufacture the drive. An overly simple explanaition is that they are seven times more fragile than a raw egg and even the slightest bump can hurt them. The problem is so rampant that virtually all newer drives have a shock sensor who's purpose is to record excessive shocks so the manufacturer can tell you that your warranty has been voided.

Luckilly, there is a relatively easy way to find out if this is what's going on. Go to http://www.hdtune.com/download.html and download hdtunepro_560_trial.exe which is free for 15 days. I'd suggest you save it before you install it; but, either way, you need to install it and run it.

Look first on the Health tab. The most important numbers are what is in the data (fourth) column for (05) Reallocated Sector Count and (C5)Current Pending Sector. If either one of them is not zero, plain and simple, the drive is failing. As long as it's there, you might want to look at (BF) G-sense Error Rate. The number in the data (fourth) column is how many times the drive has detected excessive shocks.

Even if (05) and (C5) are zero, I would strongly suggest for you to go to the Error Scan tab and run it by clicking Start. It may take hours if you have a one or two TeraByte drive; but, that is the surest test to verify the drive's operation. If even one red box appears, you found the reason why your PC is freezing.

6. mason4290

mason4290 Thread Starter

So the hypothetical that it is failing, what can I do for a solution? Should I get a new drive and pitch the old one? Can I get a new one and connect them and it will all be fine? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

7. mason4290

mason4290 Thread Starter

So I ran the error scan and I got 100% green boxes, good thing that the hard drive isn't failing (or I think) but a little frustrating we haven't found the problem yet. If you have any other ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you so much for your help.

8. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

I feel stupid for asking but is this a Windows 10 Machine?

Also are you talking about the hard drive utilization or the actual space on the disk that is used vs unused?

Could you post a picture of the issue in task-manager. Also if this is a utilization issue you may want to look at the processes in the task manager and see what one is using at 100%.

Something else to try:
    When running said game.
    Run in a window.
    Open my computer and see if the hard drive space is decreasing.
    Also downloading a video game for places like Steam, Origin or Uplay WILL decrease hard drive space that would be free until game that is downloaded would be deleted.

9. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Do you care about the data on that drive?
    If you don't, just replace it.
    If you do, we need to do a sector clone of it to recover the data. Attempting data recovery on a failed drive is suicidal. What is the exact model number of the drive?

10. mason4290

mason4290 Thread Starter

I'm alright with buying a new one, planned too anyways. But I'd rather not pay for another copy of windows, any way around this?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see one issue here;
    That equates to a drive that is 85% full. This in and of itself will slow down your system. For a mech drive, it is best to keep at least 30% free space.
    Running like this is just asking for a problem. You either need a larger drive OR you need to delete some things to free up space.

12. Epthree

Epthree

Hi Mason,

I would definitely advise an SSD for any build if it is for gaming or even for browsing the web and occasional document creation etc.. They completely transform a PC.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, your disk usage in the task manager isn't actually the free storage space, it's the utilisation of the disk. As you can see from the screenshot below i'm not actually doing anything other than visiting my page so there is very little read/write's to the disk however if I was playing games where things are constantly being loaded this would increase quite significantly which I assume is the problem you are having as the game isn't able to read from the disk fast enough.
    [​IMG]

The way I have my PC set up (it's primarily a gaming rig) is to have one 250GB SSD for C:\ that has my windows install and application install such as chrome etc on, then another 250GB SSD for storing games (G:\) and then I have a mechanical hard drive (1TB) for storing documents where speed isn't critical.

[​IMG]

13. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Mason,
    You should be able to use your existing license for Windows; but, what version is it? (7, 8, 8.1, or 10, and its a huge question that needs an answer)
    Do you know what is using up all of that space?
    You can find out with Treesize Free: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

14. pvc_

pvc_

150 GB of free space isn't really all that much. When you are writing big chunks of data to the disk, your HDD has to spin more to find empty blocks to write to.

15. mason4290

mason4290 Thread Starter

Do you think this would solve my problem? Thanks for the advice :)

Well a few problems come from this, when I built this computer, I wasn't really sure how I'd connect the hard drives, I really wanted to put an SSD on there but I have quite a few games and 250 gigs wouldn't be enough, is there a way to store on on a hard drive and then run it off of an SSD? Thanks for your input, it helps a lot. :)
    Oh and yes, I am referring to the utilization of the hard drive, not the actual space, but from what people are telling me, the amount of space left on a hard drive determines how easily the the game is able to be ran through the hard drive.

It is windows ten, I still have the installer disk, but I don't have the activation key that came with it :/
    Honestly, I am not really sure what takes up that space, I presume the game, but my problem is that this never used to happen up until a few months ago. I will check out that software when I get home later tonight, I am out of town and using my girlfriends laptop lol. Do you think maybe you could find a video that describes how to run dual hard drives/SSD. Sorry for sounding so dumb, but I've not learned about any of this for my computer class yet and I have never had any personal experience as I wasn't sure how it would go, I would have rather just stayed away from it. Thanks for being so patient and willing with me. I appreciate the time and the effort you are putting into this for me . :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice