1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive slows to a crawl when copying

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thejackal007, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thejackal007

thejackal007 Thread Starter

Hi! I have 2 hard drives in my system and the one that doesn't have Windows on it is really slow. Anything that I copy onto it or move to it makes everything go excessively slow. Even moving the mouse on screen shows up almost like a slideshow as opposed to its normal speed. The Hard Drive is mostly empty and has been defragged as of last night. The other hard drive operates normally and the speed of everything moves the way it should. Troubleshooting the drive shows that everything is working normally and it's already checked for optimized use. Does anybody have any ideas?
    Brian

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd make sure the drive is in DMA mode, here's how: http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-05.html

If its in PIO then it will run slow.

Has this drive always been slow, or just recently?

Also what brand is it? You may want to download the manufacturer's diagnostics and test the drive for defects.

3. thejackal007

It's already set in PIO mode and I can't seem to change it. All of my other devices are aleady in DMA mode.

The drive has always been this slow, as far as I know. I put another drive in at some point to test and that drive also ran just as slow and awkward. As for the brand, I'd have to open it up again, but Hitachi seems to ring a bell.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. thejackal007

I'll give the drive a check later on. I have another computer here that I can try hooking it up to. I deleted those keys and added the new ones and still have the same issue. Maybe now is the time to bring up something possibly related. When I start up the computer each time, for a brief moment it shows Diskette drive 0 seek failure. I'm not sure if that's related or not. Still, the other drive that I put in before is doing the same thing and it seems unlikely that both drives are faulty (though it is possible).

I found a page and didn't have a chance to check it out fully yet, and it looks like it has some of the same fixes in it that you pointed out and it's here I'll check some of it out after supper. Do you have any other ideas?

6. brite750

brite750

if its doing it with more than 1 drive the IDE channel on the MB may be dieing, also could be ribbon cable, make sure you are using an 40pin/80wire one not old 40 wire cable

7. thejackal007

No, the other drive seems to be running just fine. How do I know which cable I'm using? Does it say 80 wire on the outside?

8. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

I might recomend two things:

1) Download Speefan, chekc the temps yr drives R running at and then use it's fabulous option to go online an generate a pretty detailed report about the drive. All htat is possible just withn this lovely little utility.

2) remove yr optical drive and hook up the slow HDD and see if things change using that cable....or, you cold even just slave it to the second station on the optical cable.

9. thejackal007

Well, I tried the three ribbon cables that I have and, sure enough, one of them must be the right one. Everything is running perfectly now. Thanks a lot to everyone that helped! I checked the cables before, so some combination of everything that I tried must have worked as well as the one cable.

10. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Bingo!....congrats! Only thing is....I get visuals in my head....and I would now kill to see the cables for myself. Not to worry....this is only my little issue.:D

But just curious....did you succeed by hooking it up to the distal end of an IDE cable that was hooked up to sumthin else? Or the second station on one?

11. thejackal007

I just took the three cables that I had and started changing each one completely. I tried unplugging the one DVD-ROM drive and putting the hard drive in there, but that didn't seem to work, so I put everything back the way it was, drive-wise, and switched the cables out completely.

If you want, I can take a picture of the old cable and the one doing the job side by side. As far as I can see, they look quite similar.

12. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

U R very kind to honor the Jilly insatiable curiosity.:eek: Sometimes, it just wears people out.:eek:

Please not to go thru trouble of makng pics....I think I can "see" this now....and it appears whole thing was not completely seated data transfer plug? Or maybe some oil on one of the teeny HDD pins precluding full contact ,which oil got gone with the switching?

No wrong...I think, wut U r saying is you had a spare IDE cable, yes? So it was one of the cables per se that was bad? And now you have TWO? oNE WITH BOTH hddS ON IT AND ONE WITH THE OPTICAL DRIVE? All now doing wut thhey should B doing?

I think U should not waste more time; I can now probably park this in this jam packed, but always hungry... HDD in my little head.:eek: Maybe it's a CPU, i am not sure, and I do not care at this moment.:rolleyes:

But I do thank U for this geneosity of spirit.:D

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    After deleting/creating those keys, is the drive still saying its in PIO mode or is it now in DMA mode.

If its DMA mode then I would test the drive, if its faulty then we may be going through a lot of steps for no reason.

14. thejackal007

To Triple6:
    Fixing the keys alone didn't seem to have any effect on whether it was in DMA or PIO mode. But that, in addition to switching the ribbon cable seemed to do the trick. It might have just been the cable for all I know, but I thought I switched them before and didn't notice any improvement, so I tend to think switching the keys helped as well.

To Ariesjill:
    I did have a spare cable and it seemed that it was faulty. I'm not 100% sure of that, being that I changed the keys and then the cable afterward. I still have the same cable attached to both of my optical drives and now one of the spare ribbon cables that came from an older computer is in place connecting both hard drives. From the reading I did, it might have been something as simple as that one pin being bent during a bad installation. That one pin can cause these drives to go from DMA to PIO if it's bent or if something was blocking it like you said. And think nothing of the picture offer. It's the least I can do for all of your help getting this drive in usable shape :)

15. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Yes! Same deal as with a recent problem of mine in this system we all concluded was fried mobo and I replaced....turned out to B my stupid re I did not seat the 240 pin sticks.

Again reminds me of that wonderful saying: "If you hear hoofbeats and see a cloud of dust....it's probably not zebra."

We too often assume something Byzantine in this technology....but for understandable reasons.

I so appreciate your being moved to sharing all the details....I think we elarn most from peoople this generous.....and can also contribute the most?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice