Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard Drive sometimes not recognized - fixable by banging on computer!

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dooley79 
#1 ·
I am using an Acer Aspire 5100 AMD64 notebook computer running on Debian etch, . For a while, I have been having intermittent issues while rebooting the system -- sometimes I get a system freeze with a series of messages that essentially say:

Fixed Disk 0 (with incomplete HDD model info followed by ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' characters)
0200: Failure fixed disk 0
Memory Configuration Error
Bank interleave recognized but not enabled

If I "massage" the laptop in the area where the hard drive is located, or if I pound (not quite that hard...) on the laptop, the system usually will magically boot up just fine. However, when I move the computer, like pushing it on the desk a bit, and esp. when I pack up the laptop in its case, sometimes I either get hard drive errors or can't boot the computer and have to get physical with it.

I have put in a new hard drive and the same thing happens - the computer doesn't always recognize it and boot. So I don't think this problem is specific to the HDD.

My guess is that something's loose in the computer (a HDD controller?), but I can't get into the innards of the laptop since I can't safely figure out how to pry it open (I'm pretty well versed in computers and can troubleshoot them, but mainly limited to easily-opened desktops).

Anyone have suggestions as to what may be the likeliest culprit here?

thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi! I have the same problem on that laptop and cannot fix it..

I tried to use the FIXMBR command (without luck), update BIOS, format the HDD and test the drive with the SeaTools for Windows utility (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD) that gave no errors..

You can try this program under windows and see if it gives you errors..

If you want, we can talk on msn about that problem, here is my address: alevinci83 [at] hotmail [dot] com.

bye!

#3 ·
Welcome to the board. I'd say you have a bad motherboard. Laptops do not take kindly to "prying" compartments open so I would recommend you take it to a shop, preferably a mom & pop rather than Best Screw or Circuit who knows. Do you have a local PC shop with a decent rep?

#4 ·
I have pretty much decided that there's something going on with the mainboard. I actually took apart the laptop using a service guide I found (I'm adept with computers...) and examined the mainboard for any obvious defects, but didn't find anything. Put the computer back together, it's fine as far as being able to boot and use it, but I still have the same issue every now and then... perhaps I'll buy a replacement mainboard, but it's a decent enough investment that it may be worthwhile to look att getting a new (non-Acer!) laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.