1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Space.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OldValentine, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OldValentine

OldValentine Thread Starter

Okay something unusual started acting up on my computer today. I emptied out my system restore points as I do once every month (cause of viruses, spyware, etc.) Which is normal..cause like I said, I've done this once a month for the past 2 years probably. Well anyway..my used space went back to 4.83 GB.

After downloading some songs on itunes and purevolume (Yes both legal...therefore i know i haven't received any kind of spyware.) My used space went up to 4.86 GB But for some weird reason..no matter how high my used space gets..it is CONSTANTLY dropping..like I've used 4.84 GB...then right back to 4.83 GB.

I've heard of viruses EATING harddrive space..but never giving it back? lol..No files or ANYTHING seems to be missing. Anyone know what might cause something like this? I appreciate any kind of advice/information.

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Could it possibly be your recycle bin cache emptying? Also, Is your swap file variable size?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most probably the Swapfile (page file) that Windows manages dynamically.

4. OldValentine

Yeah I don't think its the Recycle Bin..I'm not really familiar with the Swapfile..so theres a possibility it could be that.

5. OldValentine

Okay please help again lol. After emptying restore points again, and clearing my temporary internet files.. My used space went down to 4.77 GB which was about right. Now as I was checking today..after using different programs and what not..my used space was at 4.85. After eating dinner and coming back to the computer..i check to see it BACK on 4.83 GB. Now either my computer is just in love with this number or something is wrong. I'm using up space, and its not showing it.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

I think kiwiguy and Deathblow are on the right track...

If you let Windows manage the Swap File ( or AKA: Paging File ), it will constantly shrink and grow due to the demands on the file...

What the Swap/Paging file is, it is a file that is setup as Virtual Memory on the hard drive, Windows uses it to store "Memory Segments" for programs...

One way you can keep it from shrinking and growing is to set up a Permanent Swap/Paging file ( when Windows manages it it is called a Temporary Swap/Paging file, hence it shrinks and grows as the demands for Virtual Memory shrinks and grows )...

7. OldValentine

Thanks for all of your help. Its just odd that I've the laptop almost a year and its just now starting to do this. Even just now, I checked again after downloading 2 songs from itunes, and it was back up 4.86. And after 5 minutes, it was back down to 4.83 again lol. Its getting to be almost amusing. The only thing I don't get is..how can I be getting back space after I've been using it? (examples: downloading pictures, programs, files...)

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

If it is the Swap/Paging file ( which it looks like it is ) you're not going to recover it...

Assuming you are running XP ( going on the System Restore points statement ), Sysinternals has a fairly good program for defraging the Swap/Paging file, and it may recover some but not all, IMHO the best bet is to setup a Permanent Swap/Paging file ( but that is up to you )...

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

9. OldValentine

No No...I don't need to recover space. I probably haven't explained well. IT KEEPS GIVING ME BACK SPACE! Something keeps giving me back space is what I'm trying to say lol.. When downloading songs, files, etc..should take up space...something is giving it back. It did start this after I emptied out the restore points..but I don't see why that would have affected it..cause I do that alot. Ya know? It just bothers me..that no matter what space I use..it keeps somehow giving me back a few MB's..and leaving it at 4.83 :(

But thanks Jedi for all the help you've given me :)

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

It's the Swap/Paging file...

If you want to monitor it open My Computer - click on Tools - Folder options -click on the View tab - click on Show hidden files and folders - uncheck Hide extensions for known file types - uncheck Hide protected hidden system files...

And monitor the size of the file called pagefile.sys ( this is the Swap/Paging file )...

You see what is happening is...

When you delete the Restore points, temp Internet files etc. there is no need for Windows to store some of these segments in memory, and when you start using programs that need to store these segments, then the page file starts to grow...

After Windows determines about what you need it settles on a size ( looks like it is 4.83 ), then when you start something new ( like downloading songs, files, etc.. ) it will start to grow ( to 4.86 ), then after things settle down ( ie: no downloading ), it goes back to 4.83, if you are downloading just a few mp3's they shouldn't show up on the "Used Space" because they are small in size, Windows rounds the space to the nearest mega bite, so unless you are downloading a huge amount of files, it won't show...

And no problem on the help, it's what we're here fore ;)...

11. OldValentine

Oh I understand. I appreciate it once again.

I was just mostly worried that something was being deleted or something. I just thought that the used space should move up from 4.83 SOMETIME! haha. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice