1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Speeding Up and Slowing Down

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wilson911, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilson911

wilson911 Account Closed Thread Starter

Dear Fellow Techies,
    For the past two days, I have noticed my computer (Windows PC) hard drive speeding up to a roar and then slowing down. I will momentarily lose my cable modem connection and will automatically come right back in. Is my hard drive getting ready to go? I am running a Compaq Presario Windows PC Pentium 4 - 3 Mega Hertz - 3 gigs of RAM - 160 Hard Drive with Plenty of Space and Windows Vista Basic. I have Norton 360 on board keeping a clean disc with all the usual precautions. I am backing up to Carbonite. I think my hard drive may be going down the Proverbial "tubes". What do you think?

wilson911

2. unbidden

unbidden

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Are you sure this is the hard drive speeding up?
    By the size of processor I assume you have a desktop.
    It would be hard to hear variation in platter speed over a couple fans.

4. wilson911

Unbidden,
    You are the guy! This took care of the situation. I certainly appreciate the help from TN.

5. wilson911

You are exactly right! What I was hearing was the fans speeding up instead of the hard drive. My ears have never been that good. I appreciate the assistance.

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You need to clean out all the lint you can to improve airflow.
    Check fans for freedom of rotation after.

Get as much lint removed as possible from power supply and processor.

And last make sure you dont have a cd in the tray and have forgotten about it.as these will take off to full read speed every so often startling a person as to what is that noise.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774522