1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive spins constantly...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chilihead, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chilihead

chilihead Thread Starter

This is a perplexing problem because it only occurs when I'm NOT working at my desktop.

When I leave the computer for maybe 1 minute, my hard drive begins to make noise, as if it is being accessed. It will do this non-stop until I get back on and start surfing, typing, whatever, at which point everything seems to go back to normal. As soon as I'm off again, though, it fires up again and starts reading, reading, reading...

At the same time, I seem to get a lot of activity out of the indicator lights on my cable modem, even though there shouldn't be anything going on there either when I'm not there.

Any insight would be appreciated...

2. brianF

brianF

Try using control alt delete to bring up task manager, end task on everything except systray and explorer. Does it still do it.
    If not, start turning everything back on one at a time and see what program is doing it.

You could also do it from msconfig, go to start/run/type msconfig and press enter, go to start up page, unchecking items here will cause them not to load on the next startup

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi chilihead

Also check that you have updated virus signatures and scan the drive for any viruses. There have been several new ones lately.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice