1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive stops spinning randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kikko_s, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kikko_s

kikko_s Thread Starter

My computer is a Gateway 200 series laptop (aka crap-I-should've-never-bought). I'm running on Windows XP Pro, and I've just had to reformat my computer because I've been getting "Operating System Not Found" errors. That's not the problem though, the thing is that the hard drive randomly just stops spinnning and the whole computer just crashes, does a memory dump, then restarts. Sometimes it stops spinning and starts again and stops and starts until the whole thing just craps out and I have to reformat it again because when I restart the computer, it does the whole "Operating System Not Found" thing again. I can't download service pack 2 or install anything because of these random hard drive stops. Is it a problem with the hard drive disk or is it a problem with whatever controls it?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I'd venture to guess that the hard drive is in it's death throws.

3. kikko_s

kikko_s Thread Starter

So basically, I'm screwed and I have to buy myself another computer? There's nothing I can do as far as reinstalling the hardware control systems?

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

You can replace the Hard Drive. Specs for that machine say it came with a 20Gb as did my old gateway and I now have a 60Gb 5400rpm in mine.

5. Derrick

Derrick

Hi ya kikko, sound's like to me the drive is losing power, is there a chance you could open it up and make sure the molex connector is secure, or even better unplug the one in there and use a different connector.
    I had that problem before with a loose molex.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

7. kikko_s

kikko_s Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I just did some more research on it. Apparently there's been a documented design flaw. Apparently the ribbon that connects the HD to the motherboard is messed up.

8. SacsTC

SacsTC

ooof.....that hurts.

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

According to a reviewer:
    You seem to be on to something. Apparently Gateway offered a kit to repair the problem, all it contained was a piece of tape to hold the connector in place and shield dust out. :rolleyes:

How high tech of them. :rolleyes:

10. Derrick

Derrick

Opp's srry didn't realize it was a lappy :p

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice