1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive swap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mrussell60, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrussell60

Mrussell60 Thread Starter

I have a dell inspiron laptop 15 5578. My mother board went out. I want to know if I can put my hard drive into another computer. The other computer is the same one. I have heard that I can and have heard that it won't work. That the data will be corrupted if I do that. I have called dell and they said they would not recommend it but would not say why. Instead they want me to talk to a tec expert for a fee. I just want to know if I can swap out the drive and get my programs and data. Any help would be appreciated.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Are you stating the other PC is the exact-same model? If so, that could work, but you may still run afoul of licensing if you have an OEM license for your old PC. Do you have installation files for your programs stored on that drive?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Please advise us what the exact 7-character "service tag" number is that's on those 2 Dell laptops.

Once we have that information, we can determine if they are the exact same model and came with the exact same hardware and came with the exact same Windows operating system.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you have Win 10 on the drive of the dead PC then it would work. Win 10 has improved and is now able to reconfigure itself pretty well when placed into a different computer.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The 5578 appears to be a model which can be used in laptop or tablet mode and which came with Windows 10 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice