1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive swap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toyota, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toyota

toyota Thread Starter

i have a Maxtor D740X-6L 40gb hard drive in a dell optiplex gx260 computer and a western digital wd800bb 80gb hard drive in a standard size cdm tower computer. can i swap the two hard drives over?
    are the hard drives ide or sata? thanks

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Both are IDE so swapping them between PCs where they are currently working is not a problem as far as "will the hardware work"?

However, if the hard drives currently have an operating system installed (particularly if it is Windows XP or Vista) there is a slim to none chance that the operating system will boot when moved to other hardware. Reinstalling Windows is usually required.

3. toyota

toyota Thread Starter

thanks for that info.
    you stated that i would have to reinstall windows xp. does that mean i will lose everything on the hard drives or just windows xp?

4. Frank4d

Some people have luck with doing what is called a"repair install". http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm It attempts to make Windows properly recognize the hardware in the new computer. If successful it will retain all of your settings, data, and programs.

If that doesn't work then you have to do a clean install which wipes everything on the partition you install it to.

5. toyota

toyota Thread Starter

thanks.
    just wondering why does it wipe the windows xp program when you swap them over?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

It doesn't you have to. Windows XP is hardware specific so if you move a hard drive from another hardware system, part of the stability of XP is because it will not allow you to do so since it will never run right if it were to allow it.

7. Frank4d

Swapping the drives doesn't. Only if you choose to do a clean (not repair) install.

8. toyota

toyota Thread Starter

thats great, thanks for your help and will give it a go. regards rob

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually it is quite possible to swap hd with an os on it. There is a specific procedure to follow to accomplish this task. Post back if you want detailed instructions on how to do this.

BTW it does not require a repair install.

You will have to reactivate xp. If one of these os is an oem, you will need to buy either another copy of xp OR another lic since oem os live and die with the original hardware ie motherboard.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm interested in the instructions for transferring a hard drive with Windows installed from one computer to another that don't involve repairing Windows.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here you go. Note this is for ide drives. It most likely will not work with sata however I have not tried it.

Here is how to swap mb without a clean install OR a repair install. Note I have done this approx 25 times without

failure, however there may be an instance where it would not work. Again the clean install is the best way to go.

To swap mb without reinstalling.

1 During this procedure DO NOT reboot, tell it later.

2 With the old board still installed, uninstall any software that is dependent on the old board. This would be

things like onboard sound, nic, raid drivers, etc. While you are at it, uninstall anything you do not need or use.

3 Go to device manager and select ide ata / atapi controllers. Right click the primary and go to update driver.

Have the wiz display a list of known drivers so you can choose. Choose standard ide controller. Repeat for the

secondary. Note this is the most important part if you want the system to boot.

4 While in device manager, remove anything dependent on the old board such as usb controller, floppy controller,

etc. If you miss one here, no big deal. The ide controller is the important one.

5 Disable [not uninstall] any anti-virus software so it does not load at boot.If you cannot disable it, then

uninstall the AV app.

6 Now shutdown and do the swap.

7 Once the system boots, it will load any native drivers it has. This would be things like floppy controller, usb

controller, etc.

8 Now install your chipset / mb drivers; rebooting when prompted.

9 Install any other drivers that the os does not have native drivers for; onboard sound, nic, etc. Do this as

necessary.

10 Reinstall your video driver last.

12. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Cool. (y) (y) (y)

I have bookmarked and printed out your instructions for future reference.

Will Windows Genuine Advantage throw a "hissy fit" when it sees the new motherboard hardware or is a complete motherboard swap (different CPU, different on-board NIC, etc.) still below the hardware change detection trigger level?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I can almost guarantee you that you will need to reactivate xp with a mb swap. Think about it; you have a different chipset, different floppy controller, different usb controller, etc, etc, etc.

FWIW reactivating is no big deal. Most of the time you can do it over the net; when you cannot a simple call to MS and you have a new code.

Note this also works with win2k AND no need to activate.

14. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you for the clarification. I just want to be sure that reactivation was needed when answering posts on TSG for people that want to swap motherboards or move their hard drive to another computer and have lost their installation CD and/or CD-Key.

I would also think your method would not work on OEM installs of Windows XP whose registration lives and dies with the original motherboard.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Oh it will work however it is not legal since once the oem hardware is gone, you no longer have a lic for the software.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice