Hard drive swapping

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

officework13

i have a 20 gig hard drive in my del computer and i am upgrading to a 80 gig hard drive. now with my 20 gig hard drive can i format it and put it into my older del cpu. will it work or do i need to partition it.

thanks.

You are saying

You have a newer dell, upgrading from 20GB to 80GB

You have an older dell, taking the 20GB from the newer dell and putting it in the older dell.

I don't see why it would be a must to partition it. Just make one of the drives in the old dell a slave, and one primary. But, it's always nice to have it partitioned incase something goes wrong.

officework13

you were right in your decifering my question.
i do not quite understand the whole partitioning issue (other than my new hard drive came with partitioning software) and i have no idea how the old drive was partitioned as it was part of the bundled system.
with that being said. after i format the old 20g hard drive do i just put it into my old cpu and install it as new hardware or will it asked to be partitioned & if so is it better to partition it before i transfer it to the old cpu.

thanks.

yes you just install it as new hardware. If you want to, you can always partition it later. You sound like you don't know exactly what partition is, but I may be wrong. Just to refresh your memory, partitioning is splitting the hard drive into 2 or more pieces. If you have a 20 gig hard drive you could split it 10GB/10GB, 7GB/4GB/9GB, etc. Windows never asks you to partition the hard drive, you will have to do it yourself if you want to. I partition through FDisk, but I wont get into that. Partitioning software is much easier. So I guess it's up to you. If you have any other kinds of partitioning questions, I could help you with those too :)

Originally posted by officework13:
i do not quite understand the whole partitioning issue
Basically the smaller the partition, the more disk space you save, but at 20 gigs you really don't need to partition it ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online