1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Swapping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allenge, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allenge

Allenge Thread Starter

I have two computers and I'm trying to swap their hard drives. Is there any procedure that I can follow without loosing what I have on both computers. I've tried the shortcut and it was asking for me to activate the key online, which is kinda weird. Is there anyway to do it. Please HELP!!!!

2. vistanoob18

vistanoob18

I think it would be a lot more helpful if you posted more informaton. What type of computers, what type of hard drives, what OS are you using on them? What's the reason for the swap?

3. Allenge

Allenge Thread Starter

One is Gateway n-600 and the other one is Dell.Both OS are XPs, the 'from PC' HD is 40gb and the 'To PC' is 80gb. I'm changing the cases because one of them look old. I hope it helps a little bit.

4. vistanoob18

vistanoob18

Just so I'm clear, you want the hard drive that's "from PC" to still contain the information it has and you want it in the new PC right? Or are you trying to take the info from the old hard drive and put it on the new hard drive and vice versa?

5. Allenge

Allenge Thread Starter

Yes I want mainly just to swap the hard drives around. That will be perfectly fine with me.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can't straight swap one for the other with no other hardware. With the hardware in each different, simply moving them will not be able to boot either without reinstalling Windows clean. If you had a third hard drive with 2 partitions, you could use a program like Acronis True Image, and make an image file of one to save, then clone one drive to the other and restore the image file you made to the other drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice