1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive test failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puddlethecat, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puddlethecat

puddlethecat Thread Starter

Hi - my son's computer stopped working. It is a HP Pavilion DV2799EA laptop - I used F10 and did memory and hard drive test - memory finebut hard drive comes back with fail 1-07.
    Put in system disk and did a system restore but it won't boot up at all just gets to missing media cable every time on a black screen. It will not perform a Start up repai - nothing happens. F8 does not open any screen at all when powering up. Have disconnected battery and all leads and left for over 10 mins
    Can anyone give me any suggestions please.

2. puddlethecat

puddlethecat Thread Starter

Hi - I also posted this on Operating Systems as not sure as where best to place it.
    My son's computer stopped working. It is a HP Pavilion DV2799EA laptop - I used F10 and did memory and hard drive test - memory fine but hard drive comes back with fail 1-07.
    Put in system disk and did a system restore but it won't boot up at all just gets to missing media cable every time on a black screen. It will not perform a Start up repair - nothing happens. F8 does not open any screen at all when powering up. Have disconnected battery and all leads and left for over 10 mins
    Can anyone give me any suggestions please. :confused:

3. hondafrank

hondafrank

It is a SMART error in the hard drive so you are looking at a hard drive replacement.

4. valis

valis Moderator

merging threads, please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like the drive has failed from the diagnostics which means you need to physically replace the hard drive with a new one and restore/reinstall the O/S onto the new drive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice