1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive then maybe motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pwolf, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pwolf

Pwolf Thread Starter

this all started last saturday. I woke up and i was hearing clicking coming from my computer. I moved the mouse to get out of the screen saver and it froze up... I restarted and windows xp pro wouldn't boot up, it would just sit at the loading screen and i would watch the little blue thing go from right to left o.o after that i restarted and got into safe mode to try and run chkdsk. it stoped at 22% and the system started to freeze up, but i would move my mouse and move widows around... but thats about it. from there i rstarted again. the drive no longer shows up on the ata133 onboard controller.

I took the drive to a shop and they ghosted the drive to a new one. the guy mentioned that the drive was giving him some trouble and that it was definatly bad. Anyway, i got the new drive yesterday. I plugged it into the same spot and all worked well... until i was watching TV on the TV tuner card it started to freeze up again. the tv was still playing but i couldn't do anything, so i restarted and then couldn't get into windows... then the drive didn't show up. SO! i moved the drive over to the primary IDE controller where i am now, in safe mode cause windows xp still wont load (this time is seems to hang after i log in and durring "loading personal settings"). System specs:

Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra (onboard promise ata133/raid)
    p4 2.8ghz
    1gb ddr pc2700
    radeon 9700 pro
    120gb Western Digital hd (system drive that originaly screwed up)
    120gb Western Digital hd (another hard drive, for storage)
    200gb Maxtor hd (more storage)
    16x DVD-rom
    Pioneer DVD-rw

all the harddrives are located on the ata133 onboard controller (not using the RAID function). the dvd-rom and dvd-rw are on the normal IDE controller. Right now i have the two other drives diconected from the ata133 and also disabled it and have the system disk on the normal ide controller which seems to be working fine, except getting into windows. the system drive was on it's own cable, while the other two shared one. Also when the system drive wouldn't show up, the other two did. those other two drives don't seem to be harmed though.

My thoughts are, part of the ata controller failed while i was sleeping and caused the original 120gb system drive to fail also. Then with this new drive, i caught it sooner. My concern is that the rest of the motherboard will fail also, and i will lose more then just another harddrive, if it is the motherboard.

So, here i am to see what you guys think and how i should go about fixing it. i think i gave all the info, but in this state of tiredness, i dunno. if you need more details, then say so. did i mention already that there were no error messages? any, yea... no errors. just that the system hung, kinda... and the drive didn't show up.

Pwolf

2. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

You could have some kind of virus that destroys your hard drives.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/242078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice