1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive too small

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rohlen, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rohlen

Rohlen Thread Starter

I have an HP 8650C 533mhz. It had a 20gb hard drive that went bad about a month ago. Today I bought a western digital 80 gig 7200 rpm hard drive. When I installed it and right click on my c drive it tells me my hard drive capacity is 1.99 gig. I tried downloading bios configurations update but they did not seem to do anything. There was an error, something about a memory manager. Any ideas how I can get it to recognize the 80 gig size???

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to guess that the BIOS date is no later than 1999. If so, the machine will have problems with drives larger than 32gigs, and if there isn't a BIOS upgrade, that's a problem.

There are two solutions, one is the partitioning software that comes with most large drives, like Maxblast with Maxtor drives. The other is an add-on IDE controller, like the Promise Ultra133 TX2. Both will allow you to use the full capacity of the drive.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, If you didnt get a copy of the WD tools for drive setup, called a drive overlay, here is a page to get them.
    Read the instructions- and, if you ever format your hard drive that has this drive overlay, you have to reinstall it to the drive(s) that had it before. http://support.wdc.com/download/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice